Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I had quite an experience with the last Hobie 18 my dad and I purchased. It was a 1981 model from Florida that simply hadn't been taken care of well. The hulls were totally delaminated, but we did get to sail it a few times in light air. However, we couldn't trust the hulls and ended up parting out the boat.

After some searching for a newer, better condition boat, I found one from Michigan that fit the bill. A couple of weekends ago we picked up the boat, a 1987 Hobie 18 Magnum with rock solid hulls. An afternoon later, we had the boat all readied up to take to the lake and sail, but weather and schedules didn't allow us to sail until yesterday. We took the boat out to Lake Martin and had a fun day on the lake getting used to the new boat. There wasn't much wind, but we had some 10 mph or so gusts. The wings are great, just as I had heard. I can't wait to take the boat down to the gulf later this fall and do some real beach sailing with it!

Here are some photos of the new boat in action.

I'm still relatively new to sailing, and have a few questions regarding the different methods of trimming the main. We only have the stock downhaul right now. Should I look at upgrading to the 5:1 power downhaul, or is it not necessary for leisurely beach and lake sailing? Should the downhaul be set before the outhaul, and how tight should they be set depending on the wind?

I think I finally have the mast rotator figured out: because the mast is shaped as the leading edge of the airfoil, the rotator points it into the wind, allowing the sail to form its curvature. In a beam to broad reach, the rotator should be let out, while in a close reach it should be pulled in more, correct?

How do I know when to let the traveler out and in versus simply unsheeting and sheeting the main?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

using the traveler allows the mainsail to retain its shape, as in bearing off to foot or a beam reach. easing the mainsheet induces the sail to twist off from the top down. much quicker in a big gust.

there are those that use the traveler to to manage big gusts, but since its a 1:1 purchase, it takes an armful to haul it back in.

you also travel down in high winds to keep the boat flat on the water

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks like you got a beauty there, inspector. I love those Cat Fever sails! Of course, one of the things that stands out are your bright orange dagger boards and rudders. Did they come this way? I'm wondering if its gel coat or paint?

I recommend Googling "Hobie U" for tuning guidelines. When sailing upwind, the only time my traveler isn't centered is when it's really blowing and I need to depower. Normally I wouldn't suggest upgrading the downhaul out of the gate, but I see you have a solid stick and that makes a big difference (much easier to bend a comptip mast). Good luck!

Last edited by BrianCT on Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for all the help. Hobie U appears to be exactly what I'm looking for.

The rudders and daggers were spraypainted by the previous owner, who sailed on Lake Michigan. In case of turtling, he wanted some extra visibility pointing out of the water.

I can't wait to get back on the water and really learn the ins and outs of sailing. The wind is really blowing today, but alas, I have classes...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Congratulations on the new H18..those beautiful sails look brand new! You'll find a huge amount of helpful information on this site...the Search feature is your friend, and there are several experts online that can help.

Mark