Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: saling the hobie 18
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have been sailing for over 40 years sorry to say I had trouble with the Defiant it took over year to to fix because a lot of the parts where missing . This is my story headed on a reach with just the jib then I was going to put it into the wind to put the main up could not get the boat to respond after two hours head to shore and walk along shore to bring her home however this is not going to beat me so what is the answer to this old sailor on horse back Noel

Post subject: Re: saling the hobie 18
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You will never get the boat head to wind with just a jib up. If you are really talking about sailing a Hobie 18, put the main up before you leave the beach.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Adding to what Jim said, you're best off sailing the boat with both the main and jib flying. In four years I don't believe I've ever sailed my H18 with the jib furled. The reason is tacking the boat can be difficult without the aid of a backwinded jib (especially when the seas are up). As you're getting underway, ease out both sheets and power away from shore until you can get your rudders and dagger boards situated.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I recently sailed my 18 with jib furled (the wind was just to strong...) and tacked...
When turning into the wind to tack you have to really reel in the main sheet hard ( but watch it with strong winds, be very ready to sheet out once the boat has gone through the wind or you will keel the cat over in no time in strong winds) If after that you are still in irons pusch the main out to the opposite side ( "against" the wind) and reverse your rudders : sail backwards and your boat will turn and the tack will happen. Good luck !
Michel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My first time on my 18 was laughable, probably 12-15kts winds, I Carried my tack a little too close to shore, stuck there for a minute in irons, i couldnt get the boat through the wind no matter how hard i tried, the jib filled back up, followed by the main and away i went right into the bushes....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Appin45 Thank you to all that have answer my question about how to sail a hobie 18 the one thing I do know she is not a Shark at all.However I wonder if you lifted one dagger board and went on one until you where in irons would this make it handle better until you but up the main once you where out of the harbor. My shark could do this with easy.Noel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

It is extremely difficult to raise a H-18 main on the water. Very hard to get the halyard ring to hook at the top of the mast unless you are on dry ground. It can be done, but it takes way too much effort. Why can't you leave the jib furled and raise the main before you leave shore?