Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anyone one out there in Ontario Canada that have the pleasure craft registration or vessel license for there Hobie 18?

Is it even necessary since it non-power operated?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No power, therefore no registration required.
Unless you've added a Honda 25 hp to your H18!

In any event, wouldn't registration be a Federal matter?

Where do you sail out of?
For 22 years, we sailed out of Kanata, this last season out of Nepean...
my son and I finished 4th in the catamaran fleet, not bad considering we were up against Tornado's and a Nacra 20...

Check out http://www.nsc.ca and http://www.kanatasailingclub.com

cheers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The reason why I asked that question is because my dad bought the boat from guy in South Carolina last year (still has the bill of sale, wasn't registered or title) and is now getting out of the cottage life in the Haliburton area and will be gifting me the Hobie 18 down to me in Illinois.

Only problem is in Illinois they sticklers about previous title and registration.

Since Ontario doesn't register or title sailboats, do you think a handmade gifted bill of sale from my dad to me would work, so I can obtain title/registration in Illinois ? Gifted to avoid tax in lllinois

I will be sailing the Hobie 18 this coming summer in Huntsville, dont know what is needed there to sail Hobie on Canadian lake, any insight(forms, or boating license)? I am Canadian citizen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Boat registration in places like Texas and Florida (and now obviously) Illinois is fraught with challenges and administrative problems. Why not keep the Hobie as a 'Canadian' boat, temporarily brought into the US? I don't pretend to understand US Federal or State Law. Search the Forum for 'title', or 'boat title'....there are solutions.

If this is a 'personal use property', you should not have problems crossing the border, HOWEVER, if you are permanently 'importing' anything into Canada, remember the Canada Border Services will charge you 13% HST. So choose your boat domicile carefully. Registration is less important than collecting the tax.

If you run any boat with power in Canada, you will need your PCOC (Pleasure Craft Operators Card), aka 'boat drivers licence', which is a Canadian Federal licence for all federal waterways...Provincial authorities want to see it too...I got mine through my local sailing club and it's affiliation with the Canadian Yachting Association. Google PCOC, and you can take the test on line.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have it for my H18. I live in Ottawa Ontario. John is correct it is a federal matter and you do it with Transport Canada. You can go through Service Canada www.gc.ca and hunt around.

As John said since it is not powered it is not needed but I saw no harm in doing it. It might make your transfer simpler.