Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First sailing endeavor
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just saying hi, just bought my first sailboat, 1989 hobie 18 se. I have a few questions for you experts however I'm still sifting through tons and tons of information on this site so I don't ask questions already answered. For what it's worth I'm located in Houston Texas so if anyone else is from this area let me know! Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Northwest (Magnolia area) here.
I have been sailing my 18 for a few years.
TCDYC is having a sailing clinic this saturday at the dike.

1986 Hobie 18 #13031

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That'd be awesome! I looked on their site and don't see the "event". Wondering if there is any kind of registration involved. Sugar land area myself.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I sail a Hobie 18 as well and am located down in Clear Lake (southeast side). Like Jeff mentioned, TCDYC is a great group that sails out of the Texas City Dike most weekends. Unfortunately they just cancelled their May 18th sailing clinic, but the first Saturday of every month they typically have a really good turnout, if you'd like to come out. They also have a forum, in case you want to see what's going on - http://www.tcdyc.com/

If you need anything or have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi guys,

I'm new to Hobie sailing and am in Houston too (Museum District). Lived in Sugar Land for 15 yrs before moving in town. I bought an H16 around 2 months ago and haven't taken her out yet (been doing a little work on it first).

TCDYC seems like a great group of cat sailors and I'd like to join their forum. I've been trying to register on TCDYC site, but no luck. I've sent my request multiple times, but never receive the confirmation emails that I need to respond to in order to activate my account. Do any of you know who I can contact for help?

Thanks,

Jack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Serenity81H16 wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm new to Hobie sailing and am in Houston too (Museum District). Lived in Sugar Land for 15 yrs before moving in town. I bought an H16 around 2 months ago and haven't taken her out yet (been doing a little work on it first).

TCDYC seems like a great group of cat sailors and I'd like to join their forum. I've been trying to register on TCDYC site, but no luck. I've sent my request multiple times, but never receive the confirmation emails that I need to respond to in order to activate my account. Do any of you know who I can contact for help?

Thanks,

Jack

I dropped the webmaster, Chris Green, a note. Hopefully we can get you on the site and out at the Dike soon.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

outoftheoffice wrote:
Quote:
I dropped the webmaster, Chris Green, a note. Hopefully we can get you on the site and out at the Dike soon.

Thanks for your help! He contacted me and said he would sign me up. Looking forward to joining up w/ you guys!

Jack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This is Chris Green - webmaster for http://tcdyc.com. Our web server email function was broken by my pesky ISP blocking some ports. I have worked around this and anyone who wants to register on the site or reset a password can now do that automatically. Apologies if you have been trying to do so for a while!

If you try and register and the system says a user with that name already exists, then you probably created that account before but never got the email with a link to activate the user id. Just use the password reset function and you should get an email to reset your password and let you log on.

We are a catamaran sailing fleet for folk in the Greater Houston area and organize regattas and regular sailing / social meetings for catamaran sailors. We started out as Hobie Fleet 8 - but opened to all catamarans many years ago and renamed ourselves TCDYC in 2002 to better reflect our members diverse catamaran ownership.

Chris Green
Webmaster, TCDYC (Texas City Dike Yacht Club)