Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 18sx jib sail
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Have any of you guys changed the jib sheet config? I am considering changing to a Tiger jib, won't work with current config. SX jib is taller than my SE but still a gunoa as it extends behind the mast. I am having issues with the slot with the Tiger main and erractic tattletale readings up high.

Post subject: 18SX jib
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just a question- my 18SX mylar jib needs replacement. Should I replace it with another mylar jib, go to dacron, or try something else? We recreationally sail mostly. Thanks for your suggestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would stay away from Mylar composites. The lamination seems to continue to be an issue. There are several materials available that are better. You will have to go to a sail loft to have one made as nothing is offered from Hobie or Murray. I was looking at the large difference in price between the SX and Tiger, the Tiger is 200 less? Try whirlwind or sabre. super x or pentex material is probably the way to go.

Post subject: 18SX jib
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I would agree that you should stay away from the mylar composites. I purchased a mylar jib from hobie for my SX a couple years ago and it currently has less than 25 voyages on it. The jib is not holding up very well since it is showing early signs of delamination. It is very light which would help in racing but for the high price you pay it is not worth it for the recreational sailor. The new main I bought this year from Whirlwind is made from the material that the hobie 20 mains are made from. I am happy with it so far. I belive they can cut you a dacron jib in the SX dimensions if you want utlimate durablility.

2020 Getaway
http://www.fleet297.org