Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi

New to Hobie sailing and love the boat. I have plenty of experience capsizing and righting other cats, but not too sure what to do when the boat has the wings, especially if it turns turtle

Anyone got any suggestions

Sue

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've only capsized once with my magnum wings, and the procedure was the same as without...

I have a righting line connected at the dolphin striker that I throw over the appropriate hull, in the case of the wings, I just needed to make sure that the righting line didn't stress the wings out, you can't stand on the wings when turtled, due to the lack of support in that direction, and hanging on them to right the boat would probably put inappropriate stress on them as well.

Tom

H18 ('85)
H20 ('97)
H18 ('78)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I capsized my H18 with SX wings a few months ago. It was on a beam reach and it went turtle very quickly. My mast did not have water in it after so I think it was the wind (25-30 mph) that pushed on the wing to turtle it. There were two of us both around 200 lbs each and we stood on the underside of the submerged wing, grabbed the tip of the dagger board with one hand and leaned out. We eventually got the mast to the surface and then used the righting line and it came up fast after that.

I don't think you would damage the wings by standing on the underside.

I need to figure out a better way to get it from turtle to mast on the surface. I also sail solo sometimes and have been looking at righting poles for that.

I think I need to practice some day in controlled conditions.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:02 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you get the righting line coming over one side of the boat, and stand on the opposite hull, the mast will usually come up pretty easily, especially with 400 lbs. All the structure of the wings is designed to support force going down on them, rather than using the pins to hold them in place, you're now loading the two or three pins with the 400lbs of force plus the leverage you have standing out on the edge, I think the standard righting techniques should work better either way. Even when the mast is full of water it's not crazy to get it halfway up, it's getting the flooded mast out of the water that gets difficult.

H18 ('85)
H20 ('97)
H18 ('78)