Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: thin hulls
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My h18 hulls have become very thin from dragging it over the sand. The area in question is just in front of the daggerboard wells and show almost transparent when a flashlight is shown through . Would just a few layers of gelcoat do the job or should layers of fiberglass on the inside do the trick? (or both?).Has this been discussed elsewhere on the forum? If so, where? Thanks.....dj

Post subject: Re: thin hulls
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Google search "hobie bottom job" and check the "help with repairs" section of the forum. Many, many discussions.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: thin hulls
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This topic has been discussed in countless threads. There's also a good article in the Hotline archives. Here's one thread...

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=36472&hilit=Faster+bottom+jobs

As a general rule, you should replace gelcoat where gelcoat has been worn away and replace fiberglass where fiberglass has been worn away. In other words, if you've worn down into the hulls to the point that the fiberglass is paper thin, you need to build back up with fiberglass, not just cover with gelcoat. Fiberglass is a structural material, gelcoat is not. I would not add fiberglass to the inside of the hull. I would add it to the outside of the hull where it was removed so that you rebuild the hull to its original shape.

Also, trying to judge the fiberglass thickness by shining a light through is really not accurate. Once the gelcoat is worn away, the light will easily pass through the glass since there's no foam core at the bottom of the hull and the resin and glass are both translucent. It may appear to be thinner than it actually is.

sm