Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: sx Wing parts
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

One of the legs on my sx wings needs to be replaced. I see a part number in the catalog so I assume that I can order just one leg and do swap it out. Is that true?

If so, what rivets/caps do I need to get. The parts guide doesn't identify the material/size/cap etc.

Thanks in advance for the info,
Todd
h18 in MN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Your dealer should be able to help with the correct rivets, etc. Parts may or may not be available from Hobie as they no longer make those wings. Try posting for used parts, maybe someone has a damaged set with the parts you need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This has at least some of the information since you originally had to attached the legs to the wing frames.

http://www.hobiecat.com/support/pdfs/SX_Wings.pdf

8010131, the 6-6 Monel rivets. And use the caps.

Brian C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Excellent. Just what I needed. Now to see if I can find the part...

Is Matt out there? I was hoping he could find out if the part is actually something I can order. It is listed in the parts guide.

Thanks,
Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Check with your local dealer...

http://www.hobiecat.com/company/dealer.html

Matt may be a bit hard to get hold of for a few days - the annual Hobie dealer meeting is going on. That's why I'm goofing off here instead of working on website updates - the boss is at the meeting. :lol:

Brian C

Post subject: SX Wings and parts
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:17 am 
Site Admin

SX Wings and parts...

The SX Wings are still made and parts are available.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Re: sx Wing parts
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

tbosch wrote:
One of the legs on my sx wings needs to be replaced. I see a part number in the catalog so I assume that I can order just one leg and do swap it out. Is that true?

If so, what rivets/caps do I need to get. The parts guide doesn't identify the material/size/cap etc.

Thanks in advance for the info,
Todd
h18 in MN

A few 3/16" monel rivets are all that is needed to replace the leg. If you need to replace the cap/bracket at the end of the leg rather than reusing the old one then again, only a couple of 3/16" monel rivets are needed.

Set the wing and new leg on the boat in the final position before drilling and riveting. Nice and easy job (had to replace one on mine when a friend forgot to un pin one end of the wings when flipping the boat on its side on the beach).

Chris.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My 18SX forward support leg broke from the main tube last year. We bound it with rope this summer, and had no problems sitting on the wing.

The question is, what is the proper repair to be done on the leg to reattach it to the tube? I have access to aluminum welding...Is that the right approach? Should I leave well enough alone?

Thanks for any help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Should be annealed ( spelling ), heli-arced and re-heat treated. However, could just heli-arc and use it. The heat from heli-arcing will make the surrounding metal brittle which heat treating would cure. I would repair it in some way as your rope will fail at the worst time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

John Wirth wrote:
My 18SX forward support leg broke from the main tube last year. We bound it with rope this summer, and had no problems sitting on the wing.

The question is, what is the proper repair to be done on the leg to reattach it to the tube? I have access to aluminum welding...Is that the right approach? Should I leave well enough alone?

Thanks for any help!

I had a wing on my 18SX break about 6 years ago on the support leg while trailering. I took it to a welding shop that specialized in aluminum welding. Making sure they are experienced with aluminum is a must because aluminum burns through quickly if you are not careful. They inserted an aluminum tube that had an outside diameter equal to the inside diameter of the broken wing tube. This gave extra support plus something to weld to. I have not had any problems since. :)

2020 Getaway
http://www.fleet297.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

FYI, the local commercial aluminum welding shop took on the job, and we all wish they hadn't.

The first fix had the strut about two inches inward and one inch aft of where it needed to be. We took the wing back, gave them the opposite wing to take accurate measurements from. It came back in line in one dimension, but off an inch in another.

We "field engineered" it and forced it into the bracket. After a week, the weld broke, and we are back with having a rope support the strut / wing connection.

Post subject: Wing welding repair
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I found a commercial welding shop to do the work and I'm very pleased with the result. I gave them the whole boat with the wings attached. They were able to swing down the good wing to use as an example. They were also able to make the repair with the broken wing in place so there were no alignment issues. The only issue I had was that the shop was large and had primarily large clients. I was pretty low on their list of priorities. They had my boat for about 3 months. That wasn't a problem for me due to my location having frozen lakes during that time...

If you bring a wing in for repair I would suggest brining the boat so they can line everything up while they make the repair.

Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just dropped off my SX wings to be welded. The shop specializes in aluminum and is adding support where the smaller legs broke out. I am also ordering the support struts that attach aft of the wings and bolt to the hull rail with a bracket on each end. I have a few questions though.

I found one anchor plate (68190001) mounted on the outside of the rear crossbar with the wing mounting bolt protruding out of it. The other three attachment bolts don't have these anchor plates. Are these standard/required for all four points on the crossbars where the larger legs bolt through the tramp track and into the mounting bar?

Also I'm searching for the mounting brackets that attach the support struts to the wing and to the stern rail of the hull. Hobie doesn't have them. Would someone please take some pics of their SX wings mounting points including the rear support strut. Also does anyone have any support strut mounting brackets (91490010) or pics of them so I could make them?

Thanks in advance for any help. Help will be rewarded with a free rental of this Hobie 18 SX or any other boat. I will of course pay for the brackets.

http://www.sailsafaris.net
toll free(866)820-6906

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Han wrote:
I found one anchor plate (68190001) mounted on the outside of the rear crossbar with the wing mounting bolt protruding out of it. The other three attachment bolts don't have these anchor plates. Are these standard/required for all four points on the crossbars where the larger legs bolt through the tramp track and into the mounting bar?

That's the way our old Magnum was set up and I never noticed we were missing anything until I took the wings off for good, and sold them (mistake :oops: ) I believe it was the port side that had the lone anchor plate and I never had unusual wear and tear at the other three attachment points.

Does this qualify for "any help"? :) Only kidding, Good luck