Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

First cat. Was leaning to a new Nacra 500 or Hobie T2. I'm not small at 250 plus. Mostly solo sail.

This 18SX is only 12 years old. Allegedly only sailed a few times.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/42932

I have heard the original sails on the 18SX delaminate after a few years. Owner says rigging is original but mint condition.

I have heard to change rigging every few years ?

So is this boat worth 8K? Comes with trailer and Cat trax.

Fair offer?

Cost to replace sails and rigging? If it's a couple of grand to refurbish I'm thinking new cat !!

Better to walk and just go new T2 for 8K.?

Not looking for a project and new to this so help is appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

At $8k i'd be looking for a used F16/18/Tiger/FX1....... If the hobie 18 is indeed mint might not be a bad deal. The boat does look amazing though.
My buddy just bought a National Champions 2007 Hobie 20 like new, custom trailer and many many extras for $4500. cant go solo tho unless you've got big brass!!

Memphis, TN fleet 134
Hobie 20! G-Cat5.0 and 2 Hobie 14's
Photobucket now wants $100 to post pics on forums......... pass.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

$8000 is a lot of money for a used H18SX with original mylar sails.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The 18SX, or an 18 in general, can be sailed solo, but it is meant for a crew of two. You may have difficulty moving the boat on shore since it weighs 400 lbs., although a T2 weighs nearly as much. The wings are very comfortable, keep you dry, and are difficult to find on other boats, but also add 40 lbs.

Yes, the sails have a history of delaminating and it is difficult to find used ones, although Tiger mains are known to fit.

The asking price is a tad high, but if it is in mint condition with a trailer and Cat Trax then it is worth considering. Inspect the standing rigging for rust, wear, kinks, etc. Rigging should be replaced due to a combination of age and usage, and this boat hasn't been used much so it should be OK.

Where are you sailing? What experience do you have?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

$8k is probably a touch high, but considering it comes with trailer, beach wheels, wings, full cover, and looks to be in very good condition, I'd say it's in the ball park. You certainly aren't going to get a comparable boat for new anywhere and you're unlikely to find used 18 that new or in that good of condition. This boat is from the last new run of boats (not including the run of new hulls in 2010).

The original SX sails were susceptible to delamination just like the original H17 sails were. For SX sails from this era, delamination shouldn't really be a concern just like the later H17 sails - the sail fabric was improved. If this boat has as low usage as you describe, then I would expect the sails and everything else has a lot of life left in it. If the boat is as good as it looks, it is probably pretty much turn key.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

price depends on condition and demand. Have a 2001 18M which I ordered new (to replace my 91 18M) with all the options I could purchase (supposedly was suppose to be last year of production when I placed the order) along with the covers, cat wheels and lots of other extras/spare parts that I had for my '91 boat, and it is also only sailed a few times a year and in the garage when not in the water...have been offered $7500 multiple times over the last few years by the several fleet members but not interested in selling until I am too old to lift up the mast and sail the boat by myself.

2001 H18 w/SX wings & spinnaker #16740 (purchased new)
1989 H18 w/SX wings #14565 (purchased new, sold 2000)
Would buy another if Hobie would build it.