Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi - well, this weekend my plastic jib zipper finally failed - the teeth weren't meshing near the top and couldn't be coaxed to behave. We managed to get it past that spot and had a great day of sailing but it jammed when we were taking it off at the end of the day and the slider snapped.

So, I need to get it replaced. Sail Loft (Spot On Marine) was recommended on another thread on the forums but I wanted to see if anyone had replaced theirs with an aluminum zipper? The plastic one just seems like trouble waiting to happen. (sorry Matt... love you guys but hoping for more robustness on the zipper :-) ). Or, given the fact that the plastic one lasted 30 years, am I just being OCD?

Thanks - Mike

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I suspect an aluminum zipper would be corroded within 1 year if you sail in a salt water environment. I would stick with plastic.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:52 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Never, ever, seen an aluminum zipper on a sail. SRM's right - they would corrode badly in a saltwater environment.

mespig wrote:
Or, given the fact that the plastic one lasted 30 years, am I just being OCD?

Um, yeah. How many other toys to you have that are used in the water and last 30+ years?

No matter what people say on this forum, sails are way past their life expectancy at 30 years.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slo Sail and Canvas has replaced several Jib zippers for me and I'm very happy with there workmanship.

H18 91 SX
H18 84
H18 82 looking for new home.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ive seen an aluminum slider on a Prindle before, the slider corroded and ruined it. Zippers do like occasional lubrication.

I can replace your zipper at my shop.

2010 AHPC C2 #218

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

thanks everyone. I've ordered the Hobie 18 zipper kit and found a couple of local shops that might be able to do it - otherwise I'll shoot you an email Bacho.

One quick follow up (probably more for Matt) - i also need to replace my boom end cap (forward/mast side). I've read in this forum you should use stainless 3/16x3/8 rivets for this part while others have said use aluminum because of the corrosion potential on the SS and that there's not a lot of force on the part. It looks like I have to drill the replacement end cap (one of the tabs broke off the original) and I've heard SS is a bear to pull so aluminum would be nicer if it's acceptable. Is it?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Aluminum rivets are OK for the aft boom cap. They might be OK for the forward end, but you're probably better off just using stainless steel, then there's no question about the strength. Yes, SS are a PITA to pull with a hardware store rivet gun. It is doable, but it takes a hell of a strong grip. Get the Harbor Freight heavy duty rivet gun for $20 or whatever it is. Well worth the price IMO.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Quantum sails did my sails with the "plastic" zipper. Very happy. Its robust and no problems.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hobie's current plastic zipper is one of, if not the best for the application. The teeth hold very well under load and as indicated, last a very long time. I have seen a few aluminum attempts with larger teeth, and they will fail pretty quickly in salt water. Make sure that whoever is replacing the zipper has some experience with installing them. It's not a big deal for a loft that works regularly with zipper luffs, but you may run into some issues with someone learning on your sail. It does define the luff of your jib.

Tom

H18 ('85)
H20 ('97)
H18 ('78)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mespig wrote:
Hi - well, this weekend my plastic jib zipper finally failed - the teeth weren't meshing near the top and couldn't be coaxed to behave. We managed to get it past that spot and had a great day of sailing but it jammed when we were taking it off at the end of the day and the slider snapped.

So, I need to get it replaced. Sail Loft (Spot On Marine) was recommended on another thread on the forums but I wanted to see if anyone had replaced theirs with an aluminum zipper? The plastic one just seems like trouble waiting to happen. (sorry Matt... love you guys but hoping for more robustness on the zipper :-) ). Or, given the fact that the plastic one lasted 30 years, am I just being OCD?

Thanks - Mike

On the recommendation of another H18 sailor, I bought the 186" extra long zipper and UV thread from Beacon Fabrics for about $25 and then had a seamstress sew it on. Very good zipper. http://www.beaconfabric.com/vindex.html?cat160.htm