Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

While my local climate makes most of the above totally foreign to me ( :) ), I carry a couple of space blankets in my emergency dry bag, plus a pair of flippers (and mask/snorkel) in the rear hatch in case I have to swim for it. The space blankets will fit in a PFD pocket.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tonystott wrote:
While my local climate makes most of the above totally foreign to me ( :) ), I carry a couple of space blankets in my emergency dry bag, plus a pair of flippers (and mask/snorkel) in the rear hatch in case I have to swim for it. The space blankets will fit in a PFD pocket.
Ahhhhh..... Memories of 9+ years surfing/sailing in Hawaii.... where fins were like a PFD or water bottle: essential equipment anytime one was on the water.

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Let's see, I've used a different PFD for jet skis, wind surfers, canoes, kayaks, and house-boating... and I'll be looking at my kayak vest tonight to make sure it has the appropriate ratings, because it is the most comfortable of all that I have used.

I have a few different but buckets from a previous cat, and now four used ones came with my new-to-me H18... I'm wondering about that pile of trapeze harnesses and the storage locker full of PFDs and thinking there must be somebody somewhere that's combined a trap harness and a PFD....

Randii

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stearns has always stated the Rule of 50 as 50 degrees, 50 minutes, 50-50 chance of survival. I remember reading that on their products 40 years ago and it's still on their website that way.

My four year old has a PFD with a crotch strap. I suspect this is compulsory in those sizes, but I wouldn't have it any other way. The jacket is now tight enough that it would probably stay on without the crotch strap, but as any parent knows the fit of clothing on a child is a rapidly changing situation.

I would not be opposed to a comfortable crotch strap on a PFD for myself, if it went under my trap harness. My daughter's PFD strap chafes her legs and abrades the fabric of her swim shorts but it's hardly a premium product. Heck, maybe outside the harness could work if well executed.

I keep in mind that USCG regs are not optimized for us, and that PFDs have to work when we are unconscious or injured.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages