Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: H18 Fleet Survey
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

HI everyone.

There has been a lot of conversation back and forth over the past few months about the future of the H18 class and North American Events participation. We have seen a growth in attendance at North American Championships over the past 5 years and we would like to see this continue. The discussions have been focused around 1) where are the active fleets? 2) how many boats are active racers in the various divisions? 3) What is the best class to pair with the H18's for Championship events? 4) Where should events be held and who is going to host them? and a myriad of other points.
With this in mind, some of us have created the following survey to try and discover some of this information. As a H18 sailor, whether it's your #1 boat or only a part-time sail for you, please fill it out. Pass it on to your crew members to fill out. Pass it on to anyone who might not be on this list. We are looking for responses from anyone who sails the H18, whether they race or not...
We are also trying to prepare event proposals 3-5 years in advance with a rotation across the country so everyone has a chance to be involved every couple of years if they don't like to travel long distances. With this in mind, we are looking for people to think about hosting. We are set for 2015 in Huntington Lake CA (postponed from 2014), and there are 2 bids on the table for 2016, a 16/18 event in Mexico, and a 17/18 event in Iowa. There has also been interest expressed for hosting in the North East for 2017. If you're not sure what's involved to host an event, any one of us who have done so would gladly share our experiences with you. Please let us know.

Again, please take the time to read through the Survey and answer the questions. There is a time frame with questions regarding the bids for 2016 so if you have an opinion about that we need your responses by Sunday, November 9th. Sorry about the short notice. The Survey is short, only 10 questions, and should take no more than 10-15 mins of your time.

Thank you in advance for taking the time..... here is the link for the Survey:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Q36FZHK

ps, if you receive this 2 or 3 times.. sorry.. just trying to cover all the sailors.

Post subject: Re: H18 Fleet Survey
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

thanks to everyone who took part in the survey!
We've had 67 responses to date and it's presented some interesting data...
I will be posting the results here in the next day or so, so everyone can have a peek of what you thought.
There have been some great comments also, and I can see from the comments that I missed out on a few vital questions as well...

For the future of the class, we are still looking for people to consider hosting events. 56% of the respondents said they would assist or host an event, and I'm sure some of those are people who already have... what about the others? If you are interested in hosting in a future year, please shoot me an email if you need any help or have any questions. We have Huntington lake in CA lined up August 2015, and Scott is promising there will be water in the lake next year, but they do have an alternate location lined up also. I am still waiting to hear the outcome for 2016 between Mexico and Iowa, and we have a tentative option to host in 2017 in the North East. So the next few years are fairly well thought out... but beyond comes up quickly, so if you think you might be interested.. let us know and we'll help you get connected...

thanks again everyone...
results soon!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks to everyone who participated in the Survey!

We had a whopping 71 responses over 11 days....

The survey is still open and I will leave it for another week or so for anyone else who may want to still comment. It is designed to take only one response per computer in case any one was having difficulty.

Here is a brief highlight of what we discovered:

The majority of the respondents have sailed hobies for more than 20 years (36%) while the next highest group was under 5 years at 29%. To me, that's a good sign as it means the fleet is growing!

Of those responding there was representation from 9 divisions: Div 2,3,4,5,7,8,10,11 and 14; with 21 different fleets represented.

63% sail the 18 as their primary boat, and 75% primarily race! That's 52 people who race their 18's.

The folks who don't race, reasons are equal (33%) between being new to the boat, an old, non competitive boat, and crew issues. Everything that is fixable! For those folks we say work with your nearby fleets/ sailors, if you're new, come anyway as it's a great place to learn and you'll get lots of help, and often crew can be obtained if someone knows about it! I'll add a few contact names at the bottom from folks around the country.

Moving on.... 51% would travel 100-600 miles to an event.

53% have attended and 44% have not attended before, 9% have attended a Women's H18... we hope to see more of those events. If you want to host a women's 18 event, contact Chris Bradshaw or Gillian Thomson.

The biggest concerns about attending were location and distance.. 83%/ 80%

the most popular choice for Class pairing at NA events, was the H17, while all the other classes there was no clear indication of preference,

55% offered up their assistance to host an event. This is important as we go into the future... We need people and locations for future events. We have lots of choices west of the Mississippi, but we need some more East of the Mississippi. If it's something you'd like to look into doing, please contact one of the people listed below and we can work with you in setting things up. It's important to spread the events across North America to help grow the class and give everybody a chance to be involved.

As for 2016, 48% chose Iowa while 41% voted for Mexico. Since this Survey has started, the 2016 event has been decided for Mexico. That information will be out sometime over the next year I imagine. We have a possibility for North East US for 2017 and may look at Iowa for 2018. If anyone else wants to consider, again please let us know.

So, Thanks again to all who participated in the survey. We are seeing a growing class which is a good thing. There are some opportunities for some future events to help the class and more on that will follow soon.

To all you 'new' sailors out there, please remember that your don't need to 'qualify' to attend a NAC event. We often have people attending who have sailed the boat for a few years only. It's a great place to learn to handle your boat. You will receive 5 days of usually good sailing, and lots of help is always available to assist you in tuning your boat, and ideas about improving your skill level. And they are always a lot of fun! Most of the locations we sail have moderate wind conditions which are accessible to the majority of sailors. It's worth the experience! And if you need crew, we can always find a good person to sail with you for the week. Many times we've had people meet at the beginning of the week and have a great time sailing during the week.
I guess what I'm trying to say, there is always a way to help you out... if we know about it.

You can view the actual results of the survey by following this link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-SV2X5F5L/

If anyone has any questions, needs help with their boat, or want further information about hosting, please contact anyone below:

Paul Evenden (me, BC); [email protected]
Scott Erwin (CA,): [email protected]
Steven Cooley (TX): [email protected]
Jim Sohn (IA): [email protected]
Jim Doty (DE): [email protected]
Chris Bradshaw (KS, Women's rep): [email protected]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks Paul.

Nice to see the growth is up in the last 5 years.

Fleet 259 Central Coast California

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Anybody have any statistics on how many H18's are active in each of the locations?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Probably the easiest way to get that information is to go to the HCA site, look under Rankings and you can pull up results for the H18 class. It gives you results by division there.