Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i am a new owner of a older sx18, installing wings and new tramps, and beginning to wonder what may be easiest way for a 71 year old to raise and lower the mast. am not new to sailing, just to Hobie. also perhaps somebody in the jax fl area willing to assist in first trip out...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Do you have help raising or lowering the mast or are you trying to do it solo? There are a few different techniques that are posted in various places around the Internet. I'm fairly new to the H18 as well, but have learned that the mast is very heavy and not something you want to just use your muscles to do.

My personal favorite choice is mast-up storage. Not raising and lowering the mast is the easiest thing to do.

If that isn't an option, then the next easiest is a winch and a gin pole. This is the path that I'll eventually move to when I need to move the boat next. Last time that I raised the mast, my wife used the winch and I lifted the mast by hand high enough for the winch to be able to start doing its work. Also, the mast likes to fall sideways if not appropriately secured during the process. I highly recommend searching "mast stepping hobie" on the Internet. There are many many ideas on how to do it.

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The simplest, cheapest way is to raise the mast with two people. One person picks up the tip of the mast and hands it to the other person standing on the tramp. That person holds the mast and the first person then walks up and climbs onto the tramp and both people raise the mast together. Once it's up, one person jumps down and pins the forestay.

Another relatively simple and cheap option is to use a hand winch. Tie the winch line to the forestay or one of the trap wires. Set up a 6 foot ladder behind the boat and prop the tip of the mast on the ladder. One person stands on the boat and guides the mast up while the other person cranks the winch and then pins the forestay.

There are other more elaborate options available as well like gin poles and electric winches that may be worth considering but they are more expensive, complex and time consuming. The other thing to consider is that if you are not physically able to raise the mast, then there is a good chance you will also have difficulty with other tasks like moving the boat around on the beach and righting the boat after a capsize.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bruce
We need more information to provide you with appropriate advice.
Do you 'park' or do you 'trailer'?

Twice a year, Spring and Fall, we raise/lower the mast.
The rest of the time, we moor 'on the hard' with the mast up.

SRM gives great advice - I suggest you follow it.
Be cautious about the mast twisting during the raise/lower....
the mast base can easily break... don't ask how I know.

Because I offer to supply the beverages, we generally have about six of us during the raise/lower:
one on each side on the hiking wires to keep the mast 'straight',
one lifting from the ground, one on the tramp,
one with a spare jib sheet tied to the main halyard pulling from the front,
and one with the beers and the cheers.

If you are having trouble raising the mast, do you have a Mama Bob?
You may want to look up 'righting poles' on this Forum.

Happy 2015.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

bruce cornell wrote:
i am a new owner of a older sx18, installing wings and new tramps, and beginning to wonder what may be easiest way for a 71 year old to raise and lower the mast. am not new to sailing, just to Hobie. also perhaps somebody in the jax fl area willing to assist in first trip out...

Hi Bruce,

If you live in the Jax, Fl area then you are in luck. The Rudder Club is the place to keep your boat with the mast up all year. We have 5 Hobie 18's there now, and one of them is an SX. There are plenty of folks to go out sailing with you and help with your mast.

Come join in on the fun with us, we will be happy to have you join us. Just ask anyone there, that you are looking for Hobie 18 help.

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I trailer to the water, am 100 miles away from the coast....i have a gin poll from my mac 23 but have not figured out where to set the poll on the hobie. rudder club is above the limits on my SS check, but i am a member NFCC. i am a solo sailor so only have self to launch, etc....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

71 years old and sailing an SX18 solo? I hate to say it, but unless you are a fairly large person and your fitness level is way above average, this is probably not the right boat for you. As I said in my prior post, raising the mast is only the first hurtle you will need to tackle. Moving the boat around on the beach solo is going to be a major chore, even if you use cat trax. And you also need to consider how you will right the boat after a capsize. The 18 is best sailed with a crew of two having a total combined weight of about 310lbs. Sailing the 18 solo is certainly doable and can be a lot of fun, but it will also be a lot more work than a boat specifically dezigned for soloing.

Anyway, it sounds like a gin pole is your only realistic option.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yea, I agree. At the age of 50 and at 210 lbs, I park my H18 in mast up storage next to the boat ramp. Then I use my SUV and trailer to launch the boat on the ramp. Also, I have a righting bucket to give me the leverage to put the Hobie back on its feet. My wife and I have moved the boat on the beach with beach wheels, but it does take effort. I wouldn't try moving an 18 by myself on the beach.

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

bruce cornell wrote:
I trailer to the water, am 100 miles away from the coast....i have a gin poll from my mac 23 but have not figured out where to set the poll on the hobie. rudder club is above the limits on my SS check, but i am a member NFCC. i am a solo sailor so only have self to launch, etc....

It sounds like you live far enough away to be a non resident member. That is like $100 a year. The Club, with people around to help, is likely your best reasonable solution.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i am of the same opinion about the hobie, but i would like to sail it once, just to say that i did....i was not aware of the special membership at the rudder club, and will check it out.....thanks for the help and thoughts.