Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie Bob & Tramp
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, i bought HB18 (1990 model), I need help with prices, Tramp and hobie Bob. If you know the cost of this products, please let me know.

I was thinking about build a hobie Bob by my self, any idea?

(sorry about my english, i hope you can understand)

I live in buenos Aires, Argentina.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Salty Dag Marine supplies parts for Hobies and other Beach Cats. They have a 1-Peice Bias Cut Trampoline for the Hobie 18/18SX that they retail for $299.70. http://www.saltydogmarine.com/

I've also seen new trampolines on e-bay ranging from just over $100 to $300. One Ebayer (ebay seller name: hobiemill_llc) sells hobie tramps (Pennsylvania Amish make). He currently has two on auction on ebay motors. (Item number 160053493315 and 160054289937) http://motors.search.ebay.com/hobie-tramp_W0QQfromZR40

The "Hobie-Bob" rotating mast float lists for $186.00 in the 2006-2007 accessories catalog. The "Mama Bob" lists for $120. I've adapted a "Baby Bob" to the my H-18 mast tip (non-comp tip) using some hand fashioned aluminum brackets. The Baby Bob lists at $96.00. It is smaller (Displaces 32 pounds of water vs 60 pounds for the Hobie Bob). And does not rotate, but it does supply a reasonable amount of buoyancy at the mast tip. All three are available on the Catamaran Sailor web store. http://store.catsailor.com/tek9.asp?pg=products&grp=146

For both items I’d guess that shipping to Argentina may be expensive.

Good Luck.

Fair winds and following seas

Post subject: Cool
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi danneskjold, I really thank for your time answer to my question. I'will visit and contact your info.

Thank you again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

a 1 gallon /4 litre plastic jug maks a very cheap on inexpensive Hobie Bob

:D

Post subject: Trampolines
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:13 am 
Site Admin

The Hobie made white vinyl trampolines are priced to be competitive with the aftermarket versions. For a Hobie 18 you can get the class legal and factory made trampoline for $357.00 #60970000

Just a comment on the mast float idea...

The Hobie mast floats are designed to hold their shape / volume when immersed in water to depth. The shape, plastic stiffness and wall thickness of the plastic all help to hold the shape under pressure. A milk bottle will crush and you lose the benefit of the needed flotation. Perhaps a foam filled milk bottle might work better for the home build idea.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I just bought my 18 this past summer and have not flipped it yet so I can't speak to the efficasy of it but.... the previous owner put a home made float at the top of the mast (and he told me it cept the boat from going turtle). It is made from a large boat bumper and is in line with the mast at the front of the mast. Seems like a good idea to me. I realize it it compliant and as Mike says about the mild jug it could compress at depth (but with enough boyancy it will not get to depth)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It will also really mess up the airflow over the sail if it is attached to the front of the mast up there.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Why are you guys so anal about flipping the boat. It won't go turtle immediately unless you force it to do so. We flip my 18 over on its side, climb up on the pontoon in the air and dive from the dagger board. The boat won't go turtle. The bob does nothing to change the angle the boat lies so its not an advantage for righting either, if anything a hinderance due to its weight at the end of the stick. Even if the boat goes turtle it can easily be rolled back unless its left that way for too long and fills with water or gets stuck in the bottom. Plus those things look silly on your mast. Take it off and throw it away.

Post subject: Why?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:09 pm 
Site Admin

Why?

Depends on the conditions and point of sail when flipped as to how fast it may turtle. As long as the mast is upwind... they usually will not turtle. Some may not have deep water and others may just not want to spend as much time righting or really know how. By the way, righting from turtle is quite difficult when there is minimal wind. Some boats are nearly impossible to right from turtle. That is how the Baby Bob came to be... the Wave is VERY stable upside down as is the Getaway. That is why they both come with the floats standard. Two of us at about 200 lbs each were unable to easily right a Wave from turtle.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I noticed some of you are talking about buying a replacement Hobie tramp from a company on ebay that goes by the name HobieMill. They sell knock-off tramps for about $200 -black mesh- with a great add campaign. Gee! Who couldn't believe the Amish? Problem is the Amish never new what stress the Hobie Tramp goes through.
I have several hobies for youth to use for free on my dime. So i tried to save money and use the Amish tramps. Every.. Every.. Everyone of them rip at the gromets (x4). Ya they look great and thats it. After one day of sitting and standing on the tramp, the gromets were ripping through the mesh. We were not abusive. The owner claimed i had a bad lot and was shipping me replacement upgraded tramps. They ripped as well. On one boat the tramp started to rip at the gromets just by me standing on the tramp raising the mast.
It has inadequate designs. What a waste of money. Do yourself a favor and stick with a Hobie product made by people that know the stress a tramp must endure -for year after year after year.

Post subject: mmiller
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I must be a beast then since I was able to right my wave from a complete turtle a few summers ago--I'm about 230 in sailing gear. It did want to stay that way though...might make a nice swim platform?

Post subject: pay attention to Matt
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

8) When the H18 flips in higher winds, you sometimes can be caught in a slight current or drift and that mast can be sucked down immediately; If that's the case, you'll have a hell of a time fighting the drift to get that sail up. Just buy the right Hobie Bob, it does not ruin performance (though you can't race with it in Divisional Points Regattas). As far as the tramp goes, do the same thing: The white tramp fits perfectly, it's class legal and the price is reasonable. If you keep it covered when its stored in the sun, you'll get a lot of years out of it.

Wyatt