Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Overhaul an H18
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I purchased a Hobie 18 last summer. It is an '84 SE that lives on a beach on Lake Michigan. I had a lot of fun with it last summer and it has been hibernating for the winter. The main sail is in pretty bad shape-the luff of the sail is worn in several places exposing the rope, I can't seem to get the metal ring to engage the latch, and the sail looks stretched out of shape. It is an original '84 sail based on its colors/pattern. The previous owner has no idea the last time the rigging has been replaced or the mast even taken down and inspected. Also one of the rudders will not remain locked down. But the hulls are in good shape without any soft spots and no significant water intrusion. I have not gotten a great look at the bottoms of the hulls yet, but I do not anticipate trouble there. So I have my work cut out for me this spring, but I look at it as fun and instructive (this is my first cat).

Any advice on where I should purchase new rigging and any needed parts? Should I look into trying to repair the sail even though I do not think I would get much more life out of it? Suggestions on where to purchase a replacement sail? I am not looking to race-just to have some fun on the lake.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Overhaul an H18
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congratulations on your new boat! I'm sure you'll love the Hobie 18, they're a thrill to sail!

The good thing about the 18 is that most everything is replaceable or repairable, though the hulls are the most precious commodity. It does sound like you have a pretty worn mainsail. However, you'd be surprised how well even an old sail will perform. If you decide that it's something that you truly need to replace, you can find a lot of used Hobie 18 sails on ebay (in various conditions and at various price points), or through your nearest Hobie dealer (http://www.hobiecat.com/dealers/), Hobie fleet or thebeachcats.com.

I would definitely lower the mast and inspect everything... mast, rigging, shackles, pins, etc. Look for wear, rust, cracking, deformation, etc. The recommendation is definitely to replace old rigging, especially if you don't know when it was last replaced. This is more critical on salties than fresh water boats, but the peace of mind that your rigging isn't about to fail is definitely a good thing to have. New standing rigging will run you ~$360. Again, you can get this stuff via your local Hobie dealer. There are also a few Hobie dealers online that will ship to you wherever, and there are always parts on ebay.

One of the best tools at your disposal in learning how best to fix and sail your boat is this forum. People on here are always happy to help a fellow Hobie sailor get better acquainted with or better at sailing his Hobie! If you find a local Hobie fleet, certainly don't be shy about introducing yourself and stopping by to ask for questions or advice. It'll shorten the learning curve considerably!

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ChicagoBruce wrote:
Any advice on where I should purchase new rigging and any needed parts?
Contact a Hobie dealer for this stuff. Don't buy used rigging, and new parts fit and work.

ChicagoBruce wrote:
Should I look into trying to repair the sail even though I do not think I would get much more life out of it? Suggestions on where to purchase a replacement sail? I am not looking to race-just to have some fun on the lake.
For what you're looking for, unless the sail has holes, then sail it as it is. Maybe have a sailmaker look at it for some minor repairs. On the other hand, the jib may be stretched out and fluttering at the leach, which doesn't get the chicks, so perhaps a replacement jib is in your future. Used jibs are a gamble because you don't want to buy one that is as blown out as yours. A new jib will help the boat sail very well.

Make friends with your local Hobie sailors to get specific tips about your boat since we are limited in what we can do for you here since we can't see it. And beware of throwing good money into a worn out boat. Have a local, experienced Hobie sailor look over the boat before spending too much money on it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Regarding the leech fluttering on a blown out jib, the foot of mine was fluttering this weekend (new boat so still getting used to it). I thought it was because I didn't have either the jib cars set far enough back as we couldn't haul in the jib sheets any tighter (although I need to get better jib sheets as they are fraying). Any suggestions on how to tune the jib so the foot doesn't flutter in higher winds (like 10-15 mph)? Thanks - Mike

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mespig wrote:
Any suggestions on how to tune the jib so the foot doesn't flutter in higher winds (like 10-15 mph)? Thanks - Mike

Sometimes in high wind (more than 10-15), if you pull the jib really, really tight, it will develop a horizontal crease along the foot that can flutter a little bit. Otherwise, if the jib is fluttering all the time, then it's a sign that the sail is blown out. There's not really any recourse other than replacing the sail or having it re-cut by a sail maker (probably more cost than it's worth). In either case, there's really no way to tune out the flutter.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mespig wrote:
Any suggestions on how to tune the jib so the foot doesn't flutter in higher winds (like 10-15 mph)? Thanks - Mike
If you have the money and it's worth it to you then buy a new jib, otherwise just get used to the fluttering. Blown jibs aren't easy to fix, and the money spent that might or might not fix it is better spent on a new one.

As for suggestions on a new jib, my experience has been that although Hobie sails are a little more expensive than third party ones, the quality and knowing it will fit correctly make up for it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Personally .... if you can afford it, go for new sails. You will never regret it.

Psychologically, this automatically puts you in a better frame of mind and you most certainly are bound to do better in races.

Hobie original or aftermarket sails, ......... this depends on what type of sailing you are doing or propose to do.