Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Fair price for Hobie
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The spinnaker kit is most likely what is listed in the hobie catalog as for the H16 but the kit has instructions how to install on H16, Getaway and H16.

2001 H18 w/SX wings & spinnaker #16740 (purchased new)
1989 H18 w/SX wings #14565 (purchased new, sold 2000)
Would buy another if Hobie would build it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NeubaurRL wrote:
The spinnaker kit is most likely what is listed in the hobie catalog as for the H16 but the kit has instructions how to install on H16, Getaway and H16.

The H18SX came stock with a spinnaker system which was considerably different from the H16 version. The H16 version has a more modern "snuffer system," featuring a sock on the spinnaker pole. The spinnaker is launched and retrieved by pulling it out the end of the "sock" or pulling it back into it. The H18SX version was bag launched - it was stored in a bag on the trampoline, requiring it to be doused and stuffed back into the bag each time it was lowered. I'm also fairly certain that the cut of the spinnaker of the H18 was fuller and the attachment point was higher up the mast, requiring an overall larger sail.

Boats that were not originally H18SX boats, but have been converted to them commonly use an aftermarket setup, which is also more similar to the modern systems of the F18 boats, Hobie Tiger and Wildcat, etc.

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Fresh water, congrats on the purchase. Check out MN hobie fleet 444, we are a casual fleet of various cats and several us have 18's (been sailing those since 1989). Most of us are based in the twin cities. Fleet has several off water and on water functions and the sailors are a great resource for those that are new to the sport. Randy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

NeubaurRL wrote:
Fresh water, congrats on the purchase. Check out MN hobie fleet 444, we are a casual fleet of various cats and several us have 18's (been sailing those since 1989). Most of us are based in the twin cities. Fleet has several off water and on water functions and the sailors are a great resource for those that are new to the sport. Randy

Neubaur,

I'll certainly look into Hobie fleet 444 -- nice to know there's some experienced resources nearby (I'm based in the Twin Cities as well...been sailing in White Bear Lake). I see that 444 calls Lake Pepin home. It's been ages since I've been on Pepin (and I certainly wasn't paying attention to sailing conditions) so I have a stupid question: does Lake Pepin have a current? Also, what's the best launch on Pepin for a Hobie?

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We set up in the park parking lot next to the marina. There is a narrow curving small boat ramp next to the parking lot and it takes a little skill backing all the way down esp with my wings folded out. Depending on the water level at the bottom of the ramp there is usually 15-25 ft of sand/gravel to the water. Usually not a problem backing up thru it to unload (with an suv) but can be a challenge getting out with a loaded boat. Usually when loading we leave the vehicles and trailer on the hard pack and use cat wheels to get the boat on the trailer.

Besides the listed fleet events occasionally someone will post that they are going sailing on the fleet forum and anyone that can joins in. My favorite fleet event is sailing the apostle islands on lake superior...the h18m and your SX are perfect for that lake, just wear a wetsuit.

Regarding a current, I haven't really noticed one but it has to have a small one.

Randy