Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Having just re-finished my hulls, I had intended never to beach the boat ever again. I polished them up until I could see my reflection! :D

However, I'm curious to give racing a shot, and it seems that beaching is a necessity in between races at a regatta. My cat came with Cat Trax which I've never used. From what I gather, the wheels need to be centered under the shrouds or so and the line tied from the endcaps to the shrouds to keep the Trax from shifting. My Trax don't have cradles, so the boat would have to sit on the bare (aluminum?) axles. Is that wise for an 18?

Also, having never actually sailed with or raced against other cats before, does anyone have any tips worth sharing? I'd be racing in D16, with very few (if any) active 18's, unfortunately. Not sure what that leaves for me to race against. 14's, 17's and Tigers?

I'm familiar with basic course setup and racing rules (and I have crewed on bigger monohulls in casual races), but the speed and proximity to other cats does make me a little nervous, mostly at the starting line. My boat is class legal except for the all-aluminum stick, but I'm just looking to have fun anyway.

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

For the H18, I would put the cat trax between the dagger trunk and the rear crossbar when I had my 18. Tied Cat trax ropes to the rear crossbar. This way with one person on each bow you can lift the boat and push it backwards where you want to go. I found this worked better than under the shrouds. The shrouds is about the balance point, however if you lift the bows that means less weight on the wheels and less resistance through the sand. I found as you push the boat with trax under the shroud you tend to be pushing down, adding to resistance in the sand. There should be padding on the axle of the cat trax. But if you are worried about the hull bottoms I would get cradles.

2 Hobie Waves
Tandem Oasis Kayak
Hobie 16
Southern California

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

For the past 30 years I have tied my cat trac to the side shrouds of my 18 and it provides a pretty good balance especially if I am moving it by myself. The other sailors in my fleet do the same whether it is with 18s or 16s.

2001 H18 w/SX wings & spinnaker #16740 (purchased new)
1989 H18 w/SX wings #14565 (purchased new, sold 2000)
Would buy another if Hobie would build it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Definitely recommend cradles, for both your beach wheels and your trailer (at the front as a minimum).

As far as racing advice, just have fun! You will learn a lot just by being out there on the course. Don't expect much from yourself and you will have a blast.

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SabresfortheCup wrote:
Also, having never actually sailed with or raced against other cats before, does anyone have any tips worth sharing?

One tip on starting- don't try to approach the start line from dead downwind. You will see that all the experienced racers approach the starting area on nearly a beam reach and then turn up at the start. Much easier to control your speed and heading this way as well as ensure you are up on the line when the gun goes off.

Otherwise, watch others, ask questions, and enjoy yourself. It is a long learning curve, so just try to have fun.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

When the boat is on the beach still on the cat wheels our group has taken swim noddles and cut two foot lengths, inserted bungee cord thru the hole in the noodle and put under the part of the hull that contacts the beach while the boat is resting on the cat wheels.

2001 H18 w/SX wings & spinnaker #16740 (purchased new)
1989 H18 w/SX wings #14565 (purchased new, sold 2000)
Would buy another if Hobie would build it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and feedback! NeubarRL, I love the idea with the swim noodles!

srm, interesting point on the start. I wasn't sure how well I'd be able to time the start, but I'm sure it'd be helpful not having to come up to the line from downwind so much as approach from the side on a beam reach. But like you said, I'm mostly just looking to have a good time!

I agree that cradles would be the best solution, but I'm contemplating just trying to wrap the axles with foam padding because of how seldom I use them. If I find that I'll be using them more and more, I'd look at picking up a set of cradles, unless I'm risking damage to the boat without them.

'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I started sailing cats in 1991, and 'discovered' the H18 in 1992. For years, it was social sailing.
Three years ago, we changed clubs, and this is our third season of 'formal' racing, round the buoys every Weds evening, with the occasional regatta or long distance race.
As SRM says, you have much to learn, and I encourage you to enjoy every minute of it. We learn something new every week.

First, can you 'park' your boat in the water? That is, can you stop the H18, and keep it still in one spot?
Next, can you accelerate from a parked position?
Do you know your 'rights' ?(as in 'right of way').
Can you yell STARBOARD?

Do you have a watch with a count down timer?

Do you understand the course? (typically triangle-sausage, but depends on SI's).
We set an upwind mark higher than the dinghy mark, then run up-down-up-down.
Less congestion in a mixed fleet, although most of us will reach close to the gybe mark.

Yesterday evening, in 9 knots of steady N wind, sunny and 20C, there were 10 cats in the cat class,
7 505's and 3 Fireballs in the skiff class, 6 Albacores 2 Lasers and 8 420's in the Dinghy class.
Talk about a traffic jam! A wonderful evening on the water. Who cares if we were DFL in all three races.

You'll be amazed at the improvement in your sailing skills - go for it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi SabresfortheCup,

Do you have pics of the re-finishing project?
Did you fix any soft spots or fill any chips and cracks in the gel-coat?

Regards,

Hobie 18

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

John, I can park and accelerate out of the position, but it is admittedly not my most practiced maneuver. Usually when I decide to park the boat, I just put it in irons for a while. I have on occasion parked correctly, however, with the sails out and the boat close-hauled, or the jib sheeted in, main out and tiller rounding up.

I am familiar with all the racing rules, though there always seem to be nuances or situations where rules combine and things get tricky.

I have seen the standard Hobie course layouts (got the sticker on my boom!)

I'm told that there should be a pretty good Portsmouth fleet at one of the upcoming races, so hopefully it'll be a fun series!

rickmatos, here are some links to my other topics (with pictures):
EPO repair & bottom job:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=54617

Soft spot repairs:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=51574
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=52771
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=55157

'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the links,

I also have EPO's in need of refinishing, but I'm glad to have your posts as some guidance.

Thanks again,

Good luck,

Hobie 18