Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Guys

I'm a beginner who's sailed on a 16 several times and now I'd like to take the plunge and buy a second hand boat. I'm 85kg, my wife is 50kg and my two kids weigh about 20kg each. I'd sail the boat with the family mainly for day trips and occasionally with friends.

In my area there's a really nice Tiger for sail at the moment but no 18s. Is there much difference between the two in set up time and ease of sailing? Should I wait until I see an 18 for sail?

All the best, Adrian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There is a very big difference between the two boats.

The 18 was built as a good all around boat - good weight capacity, high-performance (at the time) and tunability if you're into that, with relatively inexpensive replacement parts. It's a decent boat to start on (I did), with pretty forgiving handling and better overall performance than a 16. One downside, there is less room on the trampoline of an 18 because the jib blocks are further back. Not a lot less, but it is noticeable. Also, sitting on the fiberglass deck/hull can get to be a pain after an extended period. This is where wings make things much more comfortable! The boat is also a noticeably wetter ride than a 16, but it's not a big deal.

The Tiger, on the other hand, is definitely a modern performance boat. I haven't sailed one personally, but I believe they are more weight sensitive and less forgiving to sail. Performance and tunability galore, but replacement parts come from Europe, so very pricey! Probably a little more room on the trampoline, as the jib doesn't come back as far. You're sitting on the hulls no matter what with one of these boats, or ideally out on the wire - both boats are more comfortable on the wire, if the wind is high enough.

Like I said, I haven't sailed one myself, but that is generally what I've been told. Not a beginner boat - somewhat more difficult to sail and very expensive to replace parts. However, I think that if you did decide to get a Tiger, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world - just probably a steeper learning curve, and you'd want to take things easy until you really figure out how to sail it. With either boat, I can tell you, there is plenty of room for growth!

4 people on a cat is definitely a crowd, but it isn't too terribly difficult to do. The boat still sails well enough to have a good time. I'd definitely recommend a boat with wings for family day trips or taking out friends (Hobie 18 only), but it's something that can always be added down the road if you find a decent pair for sail. I've had 6 young adults/teenagers on my boat, which was really too much. 4 young adults was a pretty good time, a little crowded, but fun. I think with wings, you open up a little more space, but really 300 lbs (135 kg) is ideal and 450-550 lbs (204 - 250 kg) is about the most weight a Hobie 18 can reasonably handle and still sail decently. The Tiger, as I said, would probably not handle as well with 550 lbs (250 kg) onboard.

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've never sailed a Tiger either, buy my understanding is that it is one of the more forgiving Formula boats. It is from the early generation, so not as tricked out as the newer designs. I think you could do a reasonable job of de-tuning the boat for casual sailing, mostly by just removing the spinaker hardware and some of the other less important controls. But, it is still a racing cat and is not going to be anywhere near as forgiving as the classic H18 - especially when the wind comes up.

The rig on the Tiger is taller and more powerful than the 18, so that could prove to be a challenge when it's windy. Also, the hulls are more fragile than the H18, so it will not handle the abuse from beaching or just general bumping around that a H18 can withstand. It is a boat that was designed to win races, not to provide a comfortable ride for the family.

All in all, if the Tiger is your only choice, you could probably make it work, but it certainly isn't the ideal family cruiser. The H18, Getaway, or 21 SC would be better options for sure. The point about parts availability of the Tiger is a good one too. Parts for the domestic boats are likely to be easier to come by in comparision.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome to the world of Hobie sailing.

You say you've "sailed a few times with a buddy on a H16".

I may be repeating some of what SRM and SabreFTCup say:
The upgrade to a H18 or F18 is substantial. Thirty years ago, the H18's were the king of the performance catamarans.
Even the Tiger was 'hot' in its day. So moving up from a H16 to a H18/Tiger is like moving from a standard sedan to a Chev Corvette.
You may want to connect with other Hobie sailors in your area to learn how to sail those cats BEFORE you buy.
BTW, where do you sail out of?
Not to say you shouldn't buy.... its just that if you do, be aware you are getting into higher performance craft.

For family sailing, my #1 recommendation is a Hobie Getaway. Simple, cost effective, easy to sail, very forgiving boat.

If you want higher performance, try the H18, which is more complex than the H16, and a cat that can be set up as 'simple', with the option to tune up.
The Tiger is yet another step up, and clearly a racing machine, not a boat for family outings.
(Yes, you could dumb it down by removing the spin etc).
The last time I priced daggerboards, they were US1,600 each..... so maintenance may be an issue.
I have sailed a Tiger, and it is indeed a 'hot' boat, and both tough and delicate at the same time.
Like you never want to beach the Tiger.... but it will take a lot of chop when beating....

I keep returning to my recommendation of a Getaway, or a used H16.

what do others recommend?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I agree that a H18 is a better first boat compared to a Tiger. Especially if your goal is family recreation. I would highly recommend finding Magnum or SX wings for the H18. They make for create comfort while cruising around and fun when the wind picks up too. Where I sailI have heard H16's called "racers" and the Getaways as the "family boat". I think a Getaway would also be a good option for you.

One important thing is where you are planning to sail. I presume you are not in the US given the kg weight reference. More important than country is body of water, is it a small lake, large lake, ocean, etc?

The oddball recommendation is a H21SC if you could find one. That would be a good cruising family boat, big enough to take your family plus a friend or 2 for an afternoon.

2 Hobie Waves
Tandem Oasis Kayak
Hobie 16
Southern California

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Guys

We tried the Tiger today, wow it was really fun. Was only 10mph but it still went really fast. We had no dramas at all so made an offer to buy it. In our area there are no standard 18s so Tigers and Wildcats are the only 18s around so easy to decide what to do.

Thanks for the advice, Adrian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well congratulations, I hope you get it! Honestly, as long as you're careful and cautious, take good care of it and learn to handle it properly, I don't see why it wouldn't be perfectly suited for your needs! At the end of the day, any catamaran is going to be an exhilarating ride on the water!

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238