Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi,

I'm researching the purchase of my first Hobie 18 I'm looking at a 1981 it comes with wings.

Are wings desirable? Stupid question I know. Are they desirable for a first time Hobie owner? Are they really worth $1000 on their own? Are they like training wheels?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wings can be very desirable, there in short supply so they can bring a bit of money . not really like training wheels but do make sailing easy and comfortable so would be good for a new hobie sailer. They are not legal to race with if you think you would like to do that but you can take them off with a bit of work for a race. I personaly have sailed cats since 1973 and got a H18 with wings about five years ago and love it.

Jay

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You will really love those wings...................

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wings are great for recreational sailing. They also come off with 4 nuts if you want to take them off. If you sail with more than 2 people it gives more space for them. If you sail solo it helps get your weight out further, in my mind no downsides unless you are racing.

2 Hobie Waves
Tandem Oasis Kayak
Hobie 16
Southern California

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

you will not like them at all. they just get in the way. Sell them to me..... i never sail, so it is not a problem, :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Smfinley wrote:
Wings are great for recreational sailing. They also come off with 4 nuts if you want to take them off. If you sail with more than 2 people it gives more space for them. If you sail solo it helps get your weight out further, in my mind no downsides unless you are racing.

What he said. They make sailing the 18 very comfortable as back rest or a bench. Sitting on them keeps you out of the bow spray in your face when sailing through chop, and they provide an element of security for the less adventurous from falling overboard.

The downsides are the tiller extension gets caught up in them, so you need to learn to manage that. If you like to fly a hull then they dig into the water and slow the boat down if you get high enough. And getting on and off the boat is more difficult than without them.

They are a fine option to have if you sail recreationally, but you can't use them when racing in Hobie events without approval from the other 18 sailors. The racers in my division don't object to wings until you start winning with them.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I disagree with Skipshot on this one, wings are great bring them to the races. To my knowledge they are class legal. We have a few people every year that show up and race with them. Most of us don't race with wings because they add 25 to 35 pounds to the boat but if you are more comfortable and think they will make you more competitive then bring them.

5 years ago I was at a race where one member of the race committee took it upon himself to change the lone H18 entry with wings to H18 Magnum. He did it without the skipper or fleets knowledge or request. It was only brought up at the end of the event during the awards. I remember because I finished ahead of that boat and it cost me division and national points that would have changed my standing at the end of the year.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wings for sure. Better for almost everything but they are not class legal so have to be removed for any Hobie sanctioned events. That said, with them on, you will get better performance (as you can hike from them which gives you ability to hold more power in sail) and more comfort as a back rest and bench. Don't even think twice, if you can get wings get the wings!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

prgraham wrote:
Wings for sure. Better for almost everything but they are not class legal so have to be removed for any Hobie sanctioned events. That said, with them on, you will get better performance (as you can hike from them which gives you ability to hold more power in sail) and more comfort as a back rest and bench. Don't even think twice, if you can get wings get the wings!

Hobie wings are class legal- just not H18SE class legal. We don't protest or fuss cause their usually at the end of the group, and often don't race all the races anyway, and even if they did, it's not a significant advantage to worry about. We need more boats on the line!

There is a Hobie Magnum class and a H18SX class. When we go to mexico, enough H18 Magnums show up to get their own class typically.

H18 ('85)
H20 ('97)
H18 ('78)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tom
Fleet 259, Central Coast CA
H18 ('81)
H18 ('85)
H20 ('97)
H18 ('78)

OK Tom, You can't claim that boat anymore. It's in pieces..... :lol:

Fleet 259 Central Coast California

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I can, 78 h18 sail #205. :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:28 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
you will get better performance

The flip side is weight. That hurts your performance in lighter winds and when reaching and downwind especially.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

wscotterwin wrote:
Tom
Fleet 259, Central Coast CA
H18 ('81)
H18 ('85)
H20 ('97)
H18 ('78)

OK Tom, You can't claim that boat anymore. It's in pieces..... :lol:

BAH! My list needs love...

H18 ('85)
H20 ('97)
H18 ('78)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Definately, WINGS!!

have been sailing Hobie 18SX for 10 years.
hard to find wing parts and have to be carefull how much weight you place on them but fantastic sail experience especially when riding a hull. Even better for a co-pilot that is on the trap. you get a full 14 feet off the water!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Definately, WINGS!!

have been sailing Hobie 18SX for 10 years.
hard to find wing parts and have to be carefull how much weight you place on them but fantastic sail experience especially when riding a hull. Even better for a co-pilot that is on the trap. you get a full 14 feet off the water!