Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,

I am looking to buy a 1992 Hobie 18SX and will be sailing it on Lake Michigan. I would to get some insight into how a Hobie 18 vs. 18SX sails. I know that one has wings and a taller mast, but I am interested how it affects the sailing performance. I sailed a mid 80's Hobie 18 in the past regularly at college and had a blast! I am trying to gauge if the SX will be too much "boat" for my early 70's father and myself to sail.

If this discussion is already posted, please direct me there.

Best regards,

Matthew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You and your father will adore the 18SX because of the wings, especially on Lake Michigan. I have an SX with wings specifically for my early-70's FIL who has difficulty sitting on just a tramp. The performance or controls difference isn't an issue, just sail it like an 18.

There is a problem with an SX main sail in that it has a Mylar laminate that delaminates with age, and used SX sails are very difficult to find, meaning replacements are new ones. Used jibs are also difficult to find and you can't use a standard 18.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Guess my last post didn't work. But an SX and an 18 sail very similarly, so if you liked the 18 you will likely love the SX. I had an 18 with wings on Lake Michigan for almost 10 years and loved it. It is a great boat for that lake. The wings make a more comfortable ride which your father will appreciate. The key to Lake Michigan is knowing your limits and not going out when the weather is to much.

In the right conditions I loved soloing my 18. Being on the wire from the wings is a great experience and solo the boat really comes alive in lighter air.

As with any used boat check the condition of the boat before buying. The H18 can have reinforcement plates added at high stress points (side shrouds and crossbars). Mine had to be repaired where the rear cross bars attached to the hulls under the lip. I think the wings added extra force at those areas. Also there are not a lot of SX masts out there, so check it and the sails out. Th rest of the boat is basically an 18 so parts are available.

2 Hobie Waves
Tandem Oasis Kayak
Hobie 16
Southern California

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you much for both responses. I really appreciate the information. Regarding the mast, what specifically am I looking for beyond obvious cracks or bending?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Also check the comp-tip to make sure it is secured well and the sail track doesn't have any big gaps at that point. Sails can pop out there which is a problem with any comp-tip mast. Corrosion is another issue with any mast especially if it was a saltwater boat. But bends/dents are a common thing to check for. Check the mast base on the mast and on the crossbar to make sure they are not loose or corroded.

with it being newer than most 18's hopefully you found a good one.

2 Hobie Waves
Tandem Oasis Kayak
Hobie 16
Southern California

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the information. That is really helpful. I hope I found a good one too!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

H18 vs H18SX they preform about the same. SX's might have a slight edge on power but they are also a little heavier so I would call them equal. I sail my 18 as an SX for fun sails and I change it to a standard 18 by changing out the mast and sail when I'm racing Hobie one design. I will be at the 18/20 North American next week

Here's my priority list for buying H18's. Currently I have 3 last year I peaked at 7.

Hulls are my top priority:
1) DO THEY HAVE ANY SOFT SPOTS? not a deal breaker but I consider a boat a parts boat if there are soft spots forward of the front crossbar Unlikely on this new a boat but still possible. Also some sellers do not know what soft spots are.
2) I look at the 4 crossbar connection points on the underside of the hull to see if and how much cracking there might be if any. I do this to judge how hard the boat has been used
3)I look for damage that has been repaired and how professionally if was done.

Metal Parts Mast, Crossbars and Rudder Castings:
4) I inspect the crossbars for cracks and corrosion. Closely look around the mast step base for any cracks and where the crossbars connect inboard to the hulls Crossbars are not hard to replace but used they will cost about $150 to $300
5 I Inspect the mast for being straight. Look at the condition of the comptip. If the sail track in the comptip is chipped or broken its not hard to replace about $80.
6) Look at the rudder castings to see if there are any cracks.

Soft parts SAILS & TRAMPS
7) I look at Sails and Tramp for condition. If this boat has the original Mylar Laminate sails then plan on replacing them. Even if they are not showing delam now they will soon. You can buy replacements form Hobie or aftermarket. Used OEM SX sail are rare and are not easily to find or their junk. Myself I'm using a Hobie Tiger Main and a custom aftermarket Jib. They seam to pair well together.
8) I inspect the sail for rips, I look at all the batten pockets, and condition of the bolt rope. For the Jib look at the zipper condition. Zipper can be replaced. SLO SAIL and CANVAS has replaced several for me.
9) I consider the age of the sail. Are they crisp or blown out.
10) I look at the condition of the tramps. I look for rips, tears, grommets pulling out and overall age. The main tramp is still available from Hobie in mesh or vinyl there are also a number of aftermarket but OEM is still the best quality. If you decide to purchases aftermarket some are good and some are not! Search this site for more info.

Wings:
11) Inspect for cracks or prior repairs, covers are available.

Rudders and Daggers
12) Overall condition are they chipped or do the need some care. These are low on my list because there are lots of used ones available and they are not difficult to refresh.

Overall Completeness:
13) I look for overall completeness and judge value accordingly.
14) Is there any extra or upgraded equipment. Blocks, Down haul, EPO's ect.

Keep in mind there are some thing you should replace as maintenance if you don't know their age. Side shroud anchor pins, standing rigging.

My current SX is a 1991. It had been stored in the back of a boat yard for 10years and not moved. Moss grows on the north side of things When I bought it the tramp had rotted out, it only had the port side rudder. I was given a Prindle rudder for the starboard side, the mast hinge was also missing. I paid $900 for it and think I got a great deal even though it need some love.