Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Topic: Water coming up and out of Windward Dagger Well.

Hello Cat lovers,
I have a 1985 yellow Hobie 18. She sails great. This is my third H18.

Question: When I sail her, the windward dagger well has a good amount of water coming up and spilling out on to the tramp.
Yesterday it was 8-12 mph, when I was on a reach, I had the windward hull, or the hull I'm sitting on, up and mostly out of the water, there was a decent amount of water coming up and out the dagger well next to me.

So how much water? A small stream 4"-6" wide… pushing up through the dagger well, aft of the dagger, and then down across the tramp past the jib blocks. Not enough to panic, but enough to go … "hmmm… what the heck..?"

I don't remember this occurring with my other H18's. Maybe I've forgotten, which is possible. It's been some years since my last H18.

It only occurs with the Port dagger well. The Port dagger well has some issues. The internal side to side gap has been compromised and the dagger is a very tight fit, side to side. Somehow the sidewall of the dagger well has collapsed / crushed inward on the dagger. Normally there is a 1/4" (?) gap between the dagger and dagger well wall. Now there is virtually none.
Perhaps this is the culprit?

I may have answered my own question, but just wondering if water coming up and out of the dagger well - in 8-12 mph air - occurs on other H18's?

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
Thanks so much.
Graham

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've seen water come up out of the dagger board well on the 18, but I only recall seeing this on the leeward hull. You're saying you're getting water coming out of the windward hull? That seems odd. I think I usually notice this when on a beam reach occasionally there is a little geyser coming out from behind the dagger board. Are your boards all the way down (bungee cord hole flush with the deck)?

Regarding the tight fitting dagger board. It's unlikely that the dimensions of the dagger board well changed at all. It is much more likely that the dagger board swelled up over time. It's also possible that you just have a slightly wider dagger board. There is a lot of variation in the width of the boards.

In any case, you definitely want to make sure the boards are not so tight in the well that they can get stuck. You might consider even grinding off some of the gelcoat inside the well to make sure there's enough room for the board to move.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hmm, that is odd. I agree with sm, I typically only get water up through the leeward dagger trunk, and/or on a reach/broad reach in lighter air when the board tends to slop side to side a bit more in the waves. A tighter fit means that less water would need to shoot up into the well in order to spill out on deck, so that could contribute to it. Have you looked at the bottom of that hull? Any irregularities in the trunk, or anything stuck/protruding that would serve to "scoop" water up into the trunk? Maybe a previous owner added some padding for the dagger that has since come loose? Or weeds/debris got stuck there?

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a redline 85' that was replaced by Hobie because the dagger well was bloating in on the dagger. Rather than rubbing at the top and the bottom, it rubs all through the middle. Boards and holes have had different sizes over the years, and different weights. Newer boards are at least an 1/8" narrower than older boards, there could be mixing and matching...

Still weird for windward to take water though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Do you have any missing carpet or padding in the daggerboard wells?

I use Velcro loop, and sometimes I lose a piece and the adhesive can make it re-stick in strange spots. Perhaps yours has become a scupper?