Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tacking the H18
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

As a side effect of an other post I learned that our boats can be tacked without back winding the jib. This is news to me, but until this last summer when I bought my H18 all my cat experience has been in a Prindle 16. The comment by ncmbm was:

"If you are backwinding your boat to tack then it won't help you at all. First work on your technique, I only backwind in high seas when not racing. Backwinding is very slow. In most case if you are having a turning problem it is in your sheeting. The sails should be brought in to close hauled as you turn. Many sailors don't adjust their sails properly while turning. "

My question is, can someone describe to me in a bit more detail how I can bring the H18 about without backwinding the jib. Given that I have to tack up a narrow channel in order to get to my dock this would save me a lot of "stress" on my return to port each day sailing.

Thanks,
Adrio

Post subject: Tacking
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Like you, I sail mostly on the Ottawa River: you below the rapids at Parliament Hill, ourselves above the rapids on Lac des Chesnes. I have also sailed cats on both coast in Florida, in Antigua, in the Bahamas and elsewhere in the Caribbean.

There is a huge difference between lake/river sailing and ocean sailing, try it next time you head South. You'll see how much easier it is in the Carolina's where NCMBM sails.

In the meantime, we generally head off a bit to pick up speed, then carve our turn, not touching the jib, and remaining on the same side. Mainsheet is not locked but hand held tight, and traveller is in tight. As the boat goes through the eye of the wind, the backwinded jib helps the boat around. All the while we keep our turn going until that split second that we know we are through the axis of the wind. Then we move across the trampoline, unsheet the jib on the 'old side' and re sheet on the 'new' side. Now reset the course, set the main traveller and mainsheet, open a suitable beverage, and you are good to go. On a good day, we can tack in around five to seven seconds.

If you end up in irons, the Hobie will start to travel in reverse. So simply reverse the rudders, reset the main and jib, then swing the rudders round the other way, and you'll be in a good position to move forward and continue your voyage. Don't ask me how I know.

Only five months to go before we can sail again!

Happy Holidays and good winds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:39 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
the Rick White videos are great! Get #1 & #2 those are great all around videos. I never have anyone that does not learn something from them.

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you have experience tacking the Prindle 16 you should have no trouble with any boat with Dagger boards.
I moved up from a Hobie 14 to the Nacra 5.2.

Listen to the post directly above mine that is basically how I tack the new boat!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I do basically the same as stated above except I keep the jib flowing through out the turn. Releasing it to the other side as the boat passes head to wind. Instead of backwind the jib to turn I'm using it to pull me around, backwinding pushes you around. It takes a good crew to make it work right. The skipper can't handle it all. If you sail with inexperienced crew most of the time then backwinding is easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On my 16 I notice that it helps to let off on the jib alittle, as this cause the boat to weathervane to windward, and maked the sail fuller when backwinding, as soon as the main pops over.. The crew needs to tack the jib and get it in BEFORE you pull in the main, this pulls the bows downwind, and gets a flow over the head of the sail.

When and only when the jib is sheeted, can the main be pulled in.

And interesting trick sometime is slow the boat down so you have little or no rudder effectivness, and steer only with your sails.. To head up,let out the jib while keeping the main sheeted, to head down sheet in the jib, and let off on the main. Very good skill to have right before the start.