Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie 18 Questions
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can wings be installed easily on an 18 that does not have them?

What is a good year for the 18 if I wanted to get 3-5 years out of it with summer beach use and then stored for winter, assuming I am buying an average boat?

I saw a baot that had the mast clip used to right the mast broke off. The owner said that it was replaced but broke again and that it did not need it? Any comments on this? I am not sure what the part os called but it has kind of a hook that the mast hooks in to secure it while it is going up. Once up I do nto believe it uses the hook.

For the 18, what is the most common things to check out for buying a used boat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wings, Magnum or newer SX wings can easily be installed on any Hobie 18. I put some on mine last summer. Look around for used ones, new ones are expensive.

Do a search on the H-18 forum, there is a lot of information on what years are considered "good" boats. H-18s go for $1000 - $6500 but average in the $1500 - $3500 range depending on year & wings or no wings.

You need a hinged part of the mast base to raise & lower the mast, (don't try to raise the mast without it unless you want back problems). Keep a spare hinge part for when you break them, (usually caused by twisting the mast to the side while raising or lowering).

The H- 18 is a very good durable boat. With minimal care one should last many seasons.

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wings make any 18 into a party barge by effectively including the decks and the tramp as usable living space. Very comfortable as a backrest and gives the newcomer a sense of security. If you're planning on driving hard and trapping (we know your weight now!) I'd look for a Magnum. SX wings are still available new (I think) and are a bit lighter material than the old Magnums, but are longer. Finding either style used (without boat attached) may take a while of searching. And don't think they make the boat any faster 'cause it's a dead heat, with or without.

Without going to great lengths, the H18 1980 to 1983 models are heavy and solid, 1989 to 200? are solid and light (at minimum class weight). If you really must know why dig back on this forum. The SX is a good boat as well. A couple of guys have replaced their tired SX mylar mains with slightly used Tiger main sail.

My wife still ribs me for selling the Magnum. We now race a H20, the major difference? Downwind speed. IMO it was a shame Hobie stopped making the 18 and if more people raced them we wouldn't own a 20 today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

John, The Hobie 20 was Hobie's answer to the NACRA 5.8. I bought my 18 from a guy who moved up to the 20 back around 1993. I wanted a 20 but couldn't justify the cost of it with starting out a family. I now am glad I have the 18 vs the 20 and look forward to cruising the east coast of Lake Michigan on the 18 with wings. I still would like to race but need new sails to be competitive. To increase the speed of a 18 downwind, get a spinnaker.

The boat will be kept on a beach with mast up for the first time this summer so I can sail more. :D

Post subject: wings
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a question based solely out of curiousity. About the wings, do they ever dig in the water and become a problem on the 18? They look very comfortable and I could see how they could be advantageous on the boat, but it also seems like they would dig in the water if you were up on a hull. Does the 18 have much "heel?" when it gets up to speed, like the 16 for instance? I believe heel is the term, for the angle when flying? I know that it is not recommended by Hobie, but do most people trap off of the wing?
James

Post subject: SX Wings
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:57 am 
Site Admin

Trapezing from Hobie 18 wing (17, 21) is expected. The only models we do not recommend trapezing from wings on are the Wave and Getaway due to the different structures of the wings.

The wing will only "dig in" when you are so high up that you are nearly at the capsize point and at that angle... you would be going much slower.

Fastest is having the windward hull just about kissing the waters surface.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

abbman, where in NC are you?

1998 H16 102698
www.sunjammers.com ftw!

Post subject: H18 Wings
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

DVL, please contact me off line at lunnjohn at magma dot ca.
I want to ask you how you mounted your wings. If you are comfortable to do so, include your phone #. I am having challenges with mounting my wings.

In terms of Wings 'catching' the water, what Matt says is great, except that when one sails inland, (rivers or lakes,) the distance between the wave crests tends to be shorter. This means that when it is choppy, and especially when it is gusty, the 'low' wing can sometimes get caught in the chop. That's how I inherited my (unmounted) Magnum wings, from my buddies who like strong winds and rough weather. On the other hand, perhaps their sailing technique should be improved. . . . .Like Matt says, the upwind hull should just be kissing the water. (Got that Dude!.)

Can't wait for opening day in May.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Trapping off the wings on the ocean on an 18 is high living. You avoid all the swells and nasty chop. You can sail it at about a 45 degree angle before they even start to dig. Anybody that traps while just skimming the water isn't having as much fun as the guy thats ten feet in the air. So what if it's a little slower. b8factor...see if trey still has the 18 he got off the guy in wrightsville. That boat was cherry, I'd try to buy that from him if I was looking for an 18 w/ wings. The previous owner even had narrow wooden rails on the bottom of his hulls to extend beach wear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

John, Please check your E-mail :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NCSUtrey, I live just outside of Fayetteville in the small town of Stedman. I believe you and I are not too far away, I believe you live in Raleigh? I've have seen many of your posts on the forum, very helpful. I'm pretty new to the sport, I'd love to go and sail somewhere where I"m not the only cat on the water. I've mostly been sailing on Baytree Lake, I don't know if you're familiar. Its a pretty small shallow lake. If your ever interested I'd love to meet up for a sail.

And thanks everyone for answering my question about the wings. It must be something flying that high! The 18 seems like a really great boat. The more I"ve been looking at b8factor's questions about what is the right boat for him the more interesting the 18 has become. Don't get me wrong, I love my 16!

James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've got a '99 18sx (with wings) here in Raleigh that you're welcome to try out if you'd like. She may be for sale pretty soon as well...

1998 H16 102698
www.sunjammers.com ftw!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for your generous offer. I may have to take you up on that, but I don't really know the first thing about sailing with boards. The 16 is the only boat I've ever sailed on, aside from getting my sailing merit badge at one summer camp. I'm sure it was probably a sunfish or something of that nature, it was a looong time ago.

Please let me know if the boat turns out to be for sale. The more I've looked at the 18 the cooler it seems. I think it might suit me based on the fact that I am a taller/heavier sailor.

James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I started out on a 16 and moved up to an 18. The boards are no big deal. For most recreational sailing you only have to think about them when in shallow water and when coming in to the beach. I would just leave them down the rest of the time. They do make tacking easier as you are not pivoting about the rudders.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why Hobie quit making the 18. It seems like such a great boat. I've read other posts on this forum that have refered to the 18 as a "true" beach cat, and that they are built like tanks. It almost seems like if I wanted to upgrade to a larger cat that I would be sacrificing durability, 18 aside that is. Please correct me if I am wrong. Of course no boat should be the subject of ignorant punishment but from what I have read the more high performance boats seems to be much more fragile.

Thanks for the advice Hobie Nick. I'd love to get out on one someday.

James