Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well I have added a brand new 18SX to my existing 1979 H16 refurbished with new hulls in 1993.
New items like diamond wires have me a bit uptight. How much should I tighten them? Also, I like to sail my H16 with a lot of mast rake for upwind performance an to minimize pitch pole. How should I rake the mast in the 18? I recently raced my 16 in 35-40 knot winds and only went over once. In the 18, I basically want to eliminate the possibility of going over even with this wind. Any other hints on this step-up? Your suggestions and input are welcome. BTW, I have not assembled the boat yet.

Al

Post subject: H-18SX
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Diamond wires should just touch the mast when pushing against them 1 foot up from attachment point. Get Phil Bermans or Rick Whites books. It is tough to pichpole a H-18 but not impossible. The 18 dosen't need a lot of mast rake as the bows of the boat are very full. Best of all, in a higher wind you can furl the jib.

DVL
89 H-18

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks DVL, seems like a good guideline. This is not something you adjust constantly is it? I don't have any experience with diamond wires and always wondered why the 16 does not have them.
One more question...my 1979 H16 had severe problems with the hulls and the right one broke right off one time. I had them replaced in 1993 and have not had any trouble since. What kind of service life can I expect from the 18Sx hulls? I like to use the universal polyethylene cover for good hull protection. Basicaly what I'm worried about is the boat is no longer in production and don't want to get stuck without any replacement parts should I need them.

Post subject: Diamonds and hulls
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:30 pm 
Site Admin

The diamonds can be loose to tight depending on what you want. Typically the 18 was sailed with looser for depowering and tighter for power. I sailed light and had them touch the mast (something like) 18" above the attachments. Years ago the aussies sailed it tight and with less rotation to depower. There is all kind of thinking on it.

Hulls? If built after 1989 they are probably fine. Between about 1984 and 89 they weren't as tough and when people started adding wings they had problems at the crossbar attachment points.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)