Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hiking out and capsizing
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I almost did this over the week-end, felt like I was 12 feet up -> would like to know what happens or what to do when hiking out and capsizing. Thanks

Post subject: Capsize while hiking
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rule #1 - STAY WITH THE BOAT. The wind can push the capsized boat (by blowing on the tramp) much faster than you can swim. Don't ask how I know.
RULE #2 - With luck, and if you have released the main and jib sheets, and the traveller, you may not capsize. Another method is to turn downwind (NOT into the wind) as well as releasing all sheets. If you are still headed for disaster, unhook, grab a shroud, and hang over the side of the boat. Nice in theory, never been able to make it work.
RULE #3 - Get yourself (and the crew) untangled from lines, shrouds etc. There are horrible stories out there about fatalities from being caught under the boat.
RULE # 4 - Once over, do NOT jump into the sail, you will break battens and help 'push' the mast to a 'turtled' position. Not advisable. So stay off the 'hull in the air', and follow the Hobie method of righting the boat.

Once righted, take a sip of oat soda, and carry on having fun!

Cheers and good winds

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The worst is a pitchpole while on the wire, if your crew doesn't stop you, its around the jib you go.
Right as the boat capsizes everything usually really slows down. Especially just before the mast hits the water. If your harness is set properly you should be able to arch your back and sit down on the up hull. Uncleat, and pick your spot to drop. Never let the boat get away from you and don't stay on the up hull too long, as you risk going turtle

Post subject: Capsize while hiking
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Some folks set up a 'chicken line', that is a short piece of 1/4 or 3/8ths line, usually tied to a rudder pin, and the other end can be held or looped over (but never tied) to your harness hook. In the event of a pitchpole, it stops that 'unexpected journey to the bow.' Try a search for this.

Some folks use the blue & white (bungee cord) righting line as a chicken line.

Me, I usually end up flying off anyhow. I suppose good sailing shoes and smoother helming would help.

I repeat the concern of 'staying with the boat'.