Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New H18 Mast Step
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have finally gotten around to upgrading my mast step on my '82 H18. I have the new post, screw, washer, and bearing as well. The mast base (which came with the boat when I bought it) seems to be... not right. When I have the assembly in place, the post can move freely through the mast step. I would think there should be a counterbore for the post to fit into so it does not pop up. It looks like my mast step has had the top surface machined off. Is this correct or are am I right in assuming I need to buy a new mast step?

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's been a while since I've pulled one apart, and the mast steps have changed over the years, but I don't know to what extent.

I believe on mine, the striker post is turned down at the top, so that there is a shoulder, and the end is threaded. The inside of the mast step (aluminum piece) has a counter bore so that the post slides in and seats. The turned down portion of the post protrudes through the mast step so that there is a stud which holds the plastic bearing. When you install the plastic bearing with the screw and washer, this prevents the striker post from dropping down. The shoulder prevents the post from moving up. So, the striker post should not move when installed properly.

sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You are correct. As I think more about it, my striker post protrudes too far above the mast step. Basically, there is a 1/4" gap between the top of the step and the bottom of the bearing with the screw fully seated. Also, the shoulder of the post only contacts the bottom of the step at one point due to the curved bottom surface of the step. Is this normal? Wouldn't the post dig into the bottom of the step and need to be readjusted later?

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't know for sure about the contact area between the shoulder of the striker post and the underside of the mast step. A single point of contact doesn't sound right to me, but I'd have to see what mine looks like to be sure. I don't know how it would get worn to a single contact point.

1/4" gap between the aluminum base and the plastic bearing isn't right. There should be a plasic (delrin?) washer that fits between the bearing and the base, but it is 1/8" at most. You could try adding additional plastic under the bearing to build the area up. You definitely don't want the screw sticking out above the bearing though.

I would say to use your best judgement. If you can get everything mounted securely and it seems sturdy, you're probably ok. Just keep an eye on it.

sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It sounds to me as if you are trying to use the old 2 rivet base with a new striker and bearing assembly. If that is the case you need the new 4 rivet base, its a recomended upgrade anyways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It is the new 4 rivet step. That's why I was concerned. I will just assemble it and put a spacer in.

Thanks for the help guys.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO