Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: righting line routing
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have one of those shock cord righting lines on my H18. I just got the boat last summer and in the fall I took the line off. The problem I have now is a memory one. How is the line routed. I do remember it goes from aft along the inboard side of the hull then across under the front cross bar then back along the inboard side of the other hull to the aft of that hull. The part I cant remember is how it makes the front courner. There does not appear to be anything there to hold it from just going all the way to the dolphin striker. Any one with help (or pictures) please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can't help you with your routing question, but I can suggest another method. Take about 20 feet of an old mainsheet and tie one end to the dolphin striker, and stow the remainder in a tramp pocket. If you don't have tramp pockets, you could get a tramp bag and hook it under the tramp near the mast and stow the line in there. If you don't have tramp pockets or want to buy a tramp bag, then you could lace the line through the tramp lacing, which may also serve as a main sheet overboard-preventer.

Maybe even tie a bowline on the loose end for a handle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The righting line you're speaking of which has an internal bungee cord routes through two plastic rings that are tied off to holes drilled in the hull/deck joint just forward of the front crossbar. Another ring is usually tied to the mast support post under the crossbar for the righting line to also pass through. The ends of the righting line are tied off to the rudder pins with a separate smaller line.

Tom
H18 Magnum (Windraider)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hes got the Hawai style system. It stays under the tramp. Mine goes from the rear crossbar up to pulleys mounted on straps that fit into the tramp track, back to the rear where a pulley attached to bungee that is routed to the dolphin stricker holds it tight, up to the other front corner, thru the pulley and back to the rear.