Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey all, recently picked up a Hobie 18 that spent a few years sitting. and have been reading up on repairing the delamination that occurred on the port deck. I'm thinking about adding an access port while I'm doing this repair and any advice would be much appreciated.

Here's a few pictures of the delaminated area as well as minor dings and spiderwebbing
https://imgur.com/a/opG7dNn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You are adding the access port to fix delam, or you’re adding the port to fix some other damage? If the deck is soft, I would start by just doing an injection repair to see if that takes care of the issue. But if you need to get inside the hull for some other reason, then yes, its fine to add a port there. I would probably go with 5” diameter and don’t install the ring for the port until you’ve done the repair. This will give you more room to work and no chance of fouling up the threads of the port with epoxy. Keep in mind that there is a large foam flotation block inside the hull that will block much of your access unless you cut it in half. Also keep in mind that you can no longer get access ports with contoured deck rings, so you will have to install a flat ring onto the curved deck which is going to stick up a bit and could be uncomfortable to sit on.

Your other option would be to cut the acces hole, do your repair, and then glass the cutout back in when you’re done.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

srm wrote:
You are adding the access port to fix delam, or you’re adding the port to fix some other damage

It was more of a "why not give my self access" thought process. The hulls are in decent shape and don't need to much work outside the ding and spiderwebbing pictured. You're right there's no point adding one until I need to.

srm wrote:
I would start by just doing an injection repair to see if that takes care of the issue

Thanks, that's what I'll do

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I added hatches to my H16. partly to help with a repair - the seam between the top deck and the hull was split and a prior owner had tried to fix it with putty. Partly because my old hulls are not that watertight, and I wanted to be able to ventilate them after sailing. Details and pictures are on one of my posts at the beachcats forums:
https://www.thebeachcats.com/forums/viewtopic/topic/18646

1978 Hobie 16