Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a new blue mesh tramp that i would like to add 2 grommets too. About 1 foot tworads the center line from the rear point of the jib track. These would be to install the bungee mod to help prevent jib block twisting. I would like to know if i need to use extra material on the lower part of the tramp when installing the grommets and if installing extra grommets in a mesh tramp is a good idea or not? I am a little worried about the tramp spliting. The grommets on a 17 tramp have extra tramp material welded to the tramp then the grommet goes through all the layers. Is there a way i could "weld" extra material maybe use some kind of water proof adhesive? I am not sure what would stick to the mesh well. Also should i add the grommets with the tramp pulled tight on the boat or remove it first?

JC

Post subject: grommets
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:38 am 
Site Admin

Extra grommets.

It may be tough to get them in with the tramp on the boat. Tension could be an issue as the hole shape could distort before you get the grommet set. I would add a small patch under the tramp either loose or stitched in place. I think it may be tough to weld, but not impossible... could be a tough learning curve without some material to test first.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I installed grommets in an old tramp but I went through the sides where the heat welded strip is before the mesh. Sailrite supplied me with the tools and hardware. I intalled them off the boat and the whole thing worked great. In your case I would install them off the boat and reinforce them with more tramp material above and below. You'll need to stitch them or glue them or both before installing the grommets.

http://www.sailsafaris.net
toll free(866)820-6906