Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can it be single handed
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I currently own a H16 and have been having a blast with it. I spend most of the time on it single handed. I have capsized it once single handed and it was a struggle for me to right it but I did it with the help of the Solo Righting kit.

Anyways, long story short one a son of a member at the local yacht club inheritted a H18 and the father doesn't want him to start on it because the son has no experience sailing and has offered a trade for my 16.

Can the 18 be single handed and righted single handed or should I stick with the 16?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I sail my 18 singlehanded all the time. I am always in a group so if I do go over some one just comes over and helps me flip it back. I recently had to install a self righting pole on my 16 to compete in a race and am anxious to see if it will work on my 18.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One the 18 is rigged it can be sailed single handed, as I do that about 90% of the time. I have not yet capsized the 18 and really do not want to. I always sail around other boats in case I do go over. I am trying to find the time to make a righting pole. Do a search on this forum and on catsailor.com for info on these poles.

But, sailing it only slightly more difficult than the H16. Mostly because you have to remember the dagger boards before you beach it.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

i am on my third year on a h18. it is on old heavy '81 about a month ago was the first time i put mine over. i rig it solo and launch it solo most of the times i am out. i did get mine back up solo but i go a bit over 350. it took me a bit to get her turned into the wind but when the mast came up from the dive it took with the wind i tossed the righting rope over and leaned into it a bit and up she came.

1981 Hobie 18 "Knot A Clew" sail #5445

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I prefer the 18 over the 16 for the smoother ride, less tendancy to pitchpole, and more speed, but rigging the 18 takes a little more effort, and beaching with dagger boards is one more thing to think about, especially if you're sailing solo. Righting an 18 solo is a valid concern, but if you sail among other boats then you should have some help righting her. Before making the decision, why not ask to take the 18 out for a test ride?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Long story short, but I never intended to keep the 18 I bought. I was going to sell it after swapping out trailers because it was cheaper to buy the boat/trailer combo than a new trailer alone. I decided to take the 18 just once. Well, I ended up selling the 16.

I do miss the 15-20 minute rigging time of the 16 and the ease of dragging it around the beach. But, on a 15-20 kt day and 2-4 ft waves I forget about all of that.

Once big difference I noticed between the two boats is when a gust hits you on the 16 you heel, then accelerate forward. It's just the opposite on the 18. I have had a crew actually slide aft on the tramp from the acceleration. It's pretty cool.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Long story short part 2.

This is summer 2 with my 18. My plan is to start this summer sailing solo. The 18 does take a little longer to rig. The dagger boards could be an issue. Yet I have been practicing raising them solo as I come back to shallow water. Depending on conditions, some days it's easier to do than others.

As Nick stated, righting the boat is not an area I plan on testing. I have read on this forum you need just less than 300 lbs to right the 18. What are the average conditions you would expect to sail in? Are heavy winds normal at the location? 2, 3 or 4 foot waves? Consider some sort of righting system on the boat.

Last week I went out with four people on board. The winds kicked up where all three were leaning out as far as possible. I was sitting on the rear crossbar keeping my cool. The ride was smooth yet the boat can produce some serious power. You could de-power the boat by pulling in the jib. This takes only seconds to do.

As Skipshot mentioned, ask to take it out for a ride. I would even ask to rig the boat.

Sorry for the long response but I was in the same spot 1 year ago. Good luck.

Tom

Post subject: Solo an 18
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello everyone, I am joining the 18 club! I raced a 16 for 5 years now. Got an opportunity to move up to an 18 magnum yesterday.. I am kind of nervous about going solo on this thing... I felt real comfortable going solo on the 16, only turtled once. The mast on the magnum is going to be alot of fun stepping alone it looks like. I'll pick the boat up Wednesday after the sailboat store cleans it up and checks the rigging. I'll keep you informed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I went out alone on my 18 magnum today in 10 - 15. left the jib furled and feathered the main. Fun but next week I will install my 8' righting pole. I will then flip it with two people but try to right it by myself. (I'm about 195 lbs).

I'll let you guys know how it turns out. :roll:

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Took the 18 out for the first time today...Had a blast. That boat is so much faster than my old 16, handles better too. I admit I wasn't used to the daggerboards, trying to hold the helm and raise the boards at the same time was kind of tricky but I will get better at it with practice. My 16 didn't have a furler so that took some figuring out on my own.Overall I am very impressed I wish they were still making these boats, they are very tough compared to the fragile Tigers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, for added flotation I put swim noodles in the wing tramps, between the tramp & lacing. Not in the way and still comfortable to sit on.

Installed righting pole, 8' long. same attachment point as noted on Hobie 17 forum. Now all I have to do is flip it over to see if it works.

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have sailed my 18 solo several times. I always get someone to help walk the mast up and back down and the one time I capsized, I found it impossible to right. luckly some boaters came by and i had them lift the top of the mast up just enough for the sail to catch the wind. The 18 is some serious fun and I am always amazed how fast it is.