Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am buying my first Hobie next week :D , a 1998 18 Magnum, and need your thoughts on a cover specific for this winged boat. My boat is in pristine condition since it has been kept in a boat barn its entire life, and I would like to continue the love. However, I am having trouble finding a reasonably priced indoor storage option where I live, and need to resort to plan B, a cover.

All the covers that I have found online are for H18s without wings. Before I take scissors to several hundred dollars worth of fabric to modify the thing, does anyone know of a manufactured cover specific for this boat? Also, any thoughts on how many seasons I can get out of a cover before needing to replace it? I live on the Gulf Coast in Corpus Christi, TX -- no snow! Thanks.

Indy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I gave up on the quest for a custom cover for my 18SX. Mine is stored outside during the season and I just buy tarps from Wal-Mart and bungee them on. One 9'x12' tarp for the tramp, one 9'x12' tarp for each wing seat (seats stored down and pined), and one 8'x10' tarp for each pontoon forward of the front cross bar.

Kind of a pain but what else can I do? :x

2020 Getaway
http://www.fleet297.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Contact "Salty Dog Marine" in MI and see if they have any ideas. Custom covers won't be cheap but if the boat is in great shape you will want to keep it that way, especially since they don't make them anymore, (or like they used to.) :(

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We have inherited some covers that appear to be like the ones in the Hobie catalog...silver and black. They are probably 10 years old, and didn't make it easy to use them last winter as they are torn.

My thoughts are to go with the Wal Mart tarps described above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I spoke with the rep at Murray.com, and he told me that with the custom "Top Gun" cover for the 18 Magnum they modify it so that it fits around the wings. At $675 (incl shipping) it isn't cheap, but I relented for the sake of preserving the like-new appearance of my boat. :D

The rep was surprised when I told him that my Magnum is a 1998. He told me that the Magnum was produced in the 1980s, and that it was replaced in the 90s with the SX. However, the boat has a sticker on base of the mast that says something to the effect: "Hobie 30th Anniversary 1968-1998 -- Hobie Magnum".

Does anyone know if the 1998 Magnum is an anniversary issue?

Post subject: H 18 Magnum
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The real question you should be asking is 'does my Hobie have long or short wings?' SX18 wings are looooong, eleven feet. Don't ask UPS to ship them, they won't. However, the arms can be dissembled so the wingset can be packed flat. I had my used wings trucked in from Sacramento. Email me off line at lunnjohn at magma dot ca, I have pictures how mine were crated. Sure I had to re-assemble them at my end, and that's another whole story, including air powered rivet guns.

Magnum wings are shorter, with larger diameter tubes, and the arms are welded, not riveted on. Shipping is a major PITA.

Both types can be unpinned, and then rotated inward for storage or trailering. Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I keep mine under a tarp that covers the entire boat, mast, rudders, everything. 30 x 18. Have to replace it every 3 years or so. I created wing supports like those on thebeachcats.com out of pvc pipe. The wings help support the tarp so water runs off. Keeps the boat clean and dry. Allows me to store my sails and gear in the boxes all year round. Covers are too expensive and wear out anyway in time.