Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Top deck reinforcing
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 85 hobie 18 (go figure) and the last time I was sailing it I noticed the the starboard hull, which I was sitting on, felt a bit weak. As I felt it in a few place I determined that it has lost it rigidity. Small crackling nioses come from itwhen depressed. I am hoping that someone has had experince or a good idea as to fixing it. There is only one inspection cover on the side ( well forward) so I ordered another anticipating that another will have to be installed for this to be fixed. Just to clarify, it is just the top deck that is weak. The rest of the hull is great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

This sounds like a typical soft-spot or delamination). Repair procedures are at the Hobie support site http://www.hobiecat.com/support/tech/delam.html and the old “On The Wireâ€

Sail#4854

Post subject: Fixing delamination
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks alot for the info. My favorite part was to hold my breath and drill the holes in the hull. I am going to start in the next day or so. My question is do you think it will be strong enough to sit on again? the delam problem is between the after cross bar and the dagger board box on a 18' hobie. I guess I will find out soon enough. justwanted your input. Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have made this same repair in the same spot on my boat. That was 2 years ago. Still going strong. Plus, I am what I like to call a "Heavy Air Sailor" (A person of large stature) and it is holding up just fine.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject: Top deck reinforcing
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I appreciate the advice so far. I have followed the instructions for drilling the holes and filling with expoy. There seemed to be no voids in the hull (besides the holes i drilled) for the expoy to seep into. I Pushed hard on the syringe but no gaps were filled. So I am looking for the plan B. Method, do I grind down the dopdeck from above and fill it with new fiberglass, or put in an excess port and attack from the under sides?

Appreciate it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

This is what I would do if u already tried to repair with epoxy from the top.....

Dont grind down ure deck...it will give u much work to restore it back to original after. Not to mention gelcoating, sanding and buffing.

U have the hatch so open the access close enough to to the softspot to reach with a sander and a paint brush. But far enough so that the egde of the hatch is about 6 inches from the repair area.

Sand or grind the inside surface of the deck with 60 or 80 grit making sure you sand about 6 inches (if possible) around the entire softspot as well. Get a piece of 1/2 inche pvc pipe and cut it in half lenght wise with a band saw to get two half moon shapes. Depending on the area you will need to epoxy down 2, 3 or 4 of these parallel to each other to make "ribs" and add rigidity. About 3 inches appart.

I suggest you epoxy these down first with cab o sil thickened epoxy and create fillets on their edges and once cured sand the new epoxy you applied, this is to provide grip for the fiberglass mat and epoxy to follow..... I would start with one layer mat, then one layer rowing and then another layer of mat.....

Bullet proof!

This will vary on a case by case basis, maybe u dont even need the "ribs" and just grind and reinforce the underside with mat/rowing/mat and epoxy resin (stronger than polyester resin...)

anyone?

Do u have pics?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Puerto Rico!! de donde????????

Post subject: Fixing delamination
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I figured that that might be the best method. I will mat the underside. No pics, there's not much to see by way of a picture. Just applying pressure is the give away. I'm in Aguadilla. Thanks for the info.