Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trouble raising Jib sail
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think that I must have something rigged incorrectly on my Jib halyard or there must be some trick that I don't know about. ('89 H18) I have it rigged as indicated in the manual. I have been running the non-cabled end through the opening at the top of the zipped enclosure. There is a small block/pulley that keeps getting stuck on the top of the sail as it's being pulled through that opening as I raise the sail. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The new halyards do not have the small pulley anymore, just a swaged thimble. Try taking off the pulley.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I agree with skipshot. On mine I just use the thimble as the pulley and it works fine.

2020 Getaway
http://www.fleet297.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As others have said, the pulley is really not necessary. However, I have it on my boat and am usually able to raise the jib without too much trouble.

Make sure the halyard is not twisted around itself or the forestay in any way. Also, I believe the shackle should be at the back (but double check, in any case make sure it looks clean).

If you do keep the pulley on, you should tie the thin halyard line to the pulley itself using a bowline. If you tie the halyard to the thimble, it will be more difficult to get the pulley/thimble into the opening at the top of the sail.

sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the same problem, and cannot remember to take of the pulley.

When it gets stuck I rotate the sail around the axis of the halyard, and presto, it slides right by the pulley!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I had the same issue last year when I bought my 18. The responses via this forum was to remove the small pully. I have not had one problem this summer. I use the thimble as the pully as well. Works fine.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I too use just the thimble. My trouble is with the swivel at the mast tang, above the upper jib halyard block. The halyard tends to wrap around the forestay rather than spinning on the thimble as it should. Any tricks or ideas?

http://www.sailsafaris.net
toll free(866)820-6906

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Do you mean, when you furl the jib, the halyard wraps around the forestay rather than the upper swivel spinning?

This usually occurs when the jib is furled while there is tension on the mainsheet (or if the rig is set quite tight). Make sure you have the mainsheet completly loose when you furl the jib. It's also easiest to furl the jib when the boat is pointed downwind (especially when it's windy). This allows the jib to be shadowed by the main rather than flog in the breeze.

Other than that, make sure the swivel works smoothly and properly while on the beach. If the swivel is sticky or hard to spin, it probably needs replacing.

sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Han, I have the same problem... however, it doesnt seem to really effect performance. I can furl/unfurl just fine.

I also have the pulley problem, I'm replacing the jib halyard so while doing so I'll just ditch that pulley too. Another random Hobie item for my box. :wink: