Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: mast base casting
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The other day I had the H18 out in light winds, say 5 km/h or so. When I was running downwind sometimes the waves, small as they were, were enough to unload the sail of wind and things would just "flop around". I notices that the mast base casting that is rivited to the front cross bar would move slightly with each load and unload. If I can describe it in workd I would say that the rear most part of the casting would go from touching the cross bar to being off the cross bar by about 1/4 to 1/2 mm.

My question is/are: is this normal, or at least an acceptable situation? What is this suppose to looke like and if not like this then what are my options?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The loosening mast base is just a fact of life for Hobie 18 owners. If it is only moving 1/4 to 1/2 of a mm, that's nothing. I don't even know how you'd really see/measure that. It will eventually get looser over time and the only real solution is to re-rivet the base. I actually sailed on a rental 18 with the mast base completly separted from the front cross bar (and hulls 1/2 full of water...).

Re-revit it when it gets too sloppy. Also a good time to inspect for cracks as the cross bar will eventually fail at the mast step (my boat is on it's 3rd front x-bar).

sm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently purchased a 1982 with a cracked front crossbar. I was lucky enough to find a used replacement from a friendly Hobie sailor. I couldn't afford the newer 4 rivet mast base. I cut a 10" upper section out of my cracked one and centered it under the mast base and riveted it in place. In addition to the 2 rivets in the base, I added 2 rivets on each side being careful to stagger them. I thought this was a soloution until I can afford some of the other things I need. Your thoughts on my 'fix' would be appreciated.