Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is this an ok deal?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought a 16 this year and had fun but i would like to have a little bigger and faster boat. I found a 1980 18. It has the sails in the cat box the rudders and the dagger boards. the dagger boards are chiped on the edges a little. it has been sitting in the sun but the tramp looks ok. All the standing and running rigging needs to be replaced. The hulls seemed solid, and its missing the inspection port covers.
Is there any thing i need to look for? Problems? He wants $500.
is that a good deal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If the decks are solid and the guy has a title, it may be worth doing. Boards can be repaired. Tramps, standing rigging and running rigging are easy (just takes $$$). But if the decks are soft......

Make sure there's a boom and mainsheet tackle. If it's got the old rudder castings with aluminum cams, check them carefully. If something fails (other than a blade), parts are not available. The rudder casting upgrade is a $500+ gig.

If none of the above makes sense to you, find a cat guy to take with you.

Brian C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If you get it, replace the entire inspection port assemblies rather than just the caps. They will leak badly if you don't. IMO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had the same temptation & gave into it. I found a 84' Hobie 18 in a barn and have found it an absolute blast putting it back in the water. I had to strip all the baked on pin striping decals off, Installed all brand new rigging, ports and tramp. I was also missing one port & what was funny was the open port stayed dryer then the port with the cover because of the old type roped covers that wick water right into the hull.
I would say if the mast is in good condition with no kinks or damage and the hulls are solid. I would say go for it. I also had some corrosion issues at the inspection covers at the forward cross arm (both sides). The screws that hold the covers on were stuck to the point where I had to drill out the screws to access the hull to cross arm bolts so I could check them for tightness. Painting the hulls turned out great. I am into the painting of the mast & cross arms project now.
I would also check around the dagger board chute areas on both hulls to see what kind of condition they are in. All sorts of bad things can happen in and around that spot. I would also check the under side of both hulls to see if you have any gel coat on the bottom. 27 years can see a lot of wear in that area too. Checking again around the bottom of the dagger board chutes. My dagger boards were in pretty good shape but both of them had to have some chip repair on the trailing edges. Nothing a little epoxy couldn't fix. As long as they don't have any delam or big splits they should be fine.
My cat box was loaded with extra parts and brand new life jackets and 2 trapeze harnesses. The sails were in great shape with no rips or stitching issues.
The trailer had to have 2 brand new wheels & tires and the lights had to be rewired.
I had to give six hundred dollars for mine and probably by the time I am finished I will have under 1500 dollars in it and quite a few hours of labor. The finished product to me is well worth the price as it is going to be a very nice Hobie Cat. The problem with this project is that soon I will be finished and I will be looking for another one to rebuild. I have really enjoyed it. Keep us posted & good luck.