Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

UPDATE
So i went and saw the boat, it was as described but there are a few catches.
POSITIVES:Majors
1)Hulls are in good shape, chipping for about 8" along the front of one hull. the glass is showing but it is definitely cosmetic. But these hulls are solid as could be with no cracks, no beach wear, and no soft spots
2)SX Mainsail is in good shape w/ all battens , jib rough but can be repaired
3)tramp weathered but strong, maybe get some new support straps sewn in
NEGATIVES
1)The trailer is rusted out and I wont even consider hauling, if i take the boat I will have to rent a uhaul flat bed car trailer ($100-$150 for the trailer rental)
2)The comptip is split vertically about a foot up the front, (maybe repairable but i dont know)How hard is it to find a decent used comptip?
3)One of the the little clips that hold the rudder in place is broken (rudder cam)will i be able to find this little insignificant part for an '85
4)wing tramps are shot (but i think i can get decent replaces made for not too much ($200 or so)
5)one of the daggerboards is chipped along the bottom but it looks like and easy epoxy repair
My thoughts and concerns

Expected up front expenses to properly get it in the water. $1,200 Total: Trailer(if I'm patient)- $500, Standing Rigging- $300, Comptip $100, repairs and misc $400

I wasn't really looking to get this thing in the water till next year. I know a good galvanized trailer is worth it so I don't mind waiting for a good one to show up. My major concern is the comptip and the rudder cam. How hard will it be to get those taken care of?
If i can get him down under $700 (i am going to offer $500) am i still coming away with a good deal it i get a really solid H18sx and trailer in the $2000 ballpark?Or should i move on?

Jim

first post
I came across this 1985 hobie sx. I can buy it for $800. I have to do a hull search with the marine police before I make any commitments b/c as a NY boat the guy doesn't have or need a title. Since I'm in NJ I need to do the hull search anyway in order to get it titled and i don't feel like buying stolen property.

-I have been lurking on here and am aware that the mid-80's years have hull problems. It sounds/looks like the hulls are in really good shape, no cracks or anything. And i dont mind doing the reinforcements.
-With the jib i thought i could bring it to a sail shop
-I saw pics of the broken wing, i can weld it back together. the tramps on the wings look fine.

The trailer is not galvanized so i'd need to paint it with rust bullet but he says otherwise its road-worthy.

I am going to look at the boat tomorrow

This will be my first boat. i looked at 16's but seeing as i'm 230 and just about every person who I would go sailing with is 230 as well I think the 18 is a better fit, I wont be going solo too often.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated, if you think i should move on don't hold back. I want to make a good decision. Below is all the info and a link for pics. I'm going to look at the boat tomorrow.

Jim

Here is the link for pics i was sent: http://good-times.webshots.com/album/560415238QrsCog

Here is the description i was given:

"The Boat is a 1985 Hobie Cat
There is a little work to be done, but not anything that will prevent you fron using the boat. The Jib sail has a small tear - about 8 inches in length and two small holes from wear (about a quarter of an inch in diameter) . The top of the mast has a fiberglass competition tip which is cracked. This can be replaced . One of the trapeze lines needs to be replaced due to wear. Other than that the boat is in very good shape. The Hulls are great, the mast is straight and the main sail is in very good condition - including all of the battons.
I also have a set of wings that go with the boat but they are not on the boat because one is damaged. "
I am selling the boat because My son and I wanted to learn to sail, but we lost interest.
"I was told that there is no Paperwork for the boat and The Trailer is Solid but I dont have any paperwork for it either. I bought it like that This summer. The Lights are new and I know at least one is working. I will try to get the other working. The hulls are in excellent shape. There are a few chips on the front but nothing major. I sailed the boat from Fire Island last fall , took about two hours, and it didnt take on any water.
I have attached a piture of the damaged wing. The support is broken off . You can buy the parts of the wing and repair it or you can use the boat without the wings too. "[/img]

Last edited by junglejim83 on Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just so you keep your options open. I weighed 240 when I had my H16 and my crew ranged from 110 o 240. In heavy air that 16 would fly with all that beef on board. It can be done and you won't sink the leeward hull either.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Jungle Jim,

If you get that title thing checked out. I think it looks like a pretty nice find. An 18 is a little harder to rig than a 16, with raising the mast, sail,etc. Are you sailing where you can keep your mast up all summer?, if you can I'd go with an 18. If you can't and are going mostly solo, I'd go with a 16, like Nick said, if you consistently have good wind, the 16's weight capabilities improve drastically. As for the 18, much more flotation, stability, and they turn so much easier. Alot of weight on a 16 with light wind sends me and a buddy to the bar pretty quickly. That main sail looks like it's in great shape for old cat.