Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Our company offers guided tours on Getaways and Hobie 18's so we have special requirements for our boats. Keeping this is mind we removed the dagger boards on an 18SX in order to make more room for guests. Surprise! The boat sails just fine, upwind even. Beaching is a breeze as are shallow coral reefs. The problem we have is that two massive geysers of water shoot out of the empty dagger board thru hulls. Looks kind of funny and is very wet.

We stuffed them with "noodles," little foam swim floats, but they blasted out the top. My next idea is expandable insulating foam - comes in a can. I'm worried that as it expands it could damage the boat. I'm also pretty sure it's going to turn yellow and look awful. It would be removable with some effort.

The challenge is that the thru hulls flare outwards from top to bottom. Comments, ideas??

http://www.sailsafaris.net
toll free(866)820-6906

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Please don't do this to an old 18, it will never be the same and also never be worth anything.

I hardly believe that it sails fine with no daggers, you might want some performance out of it eventually, so don't fill the wholes with foam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

with open top and bottom I dought the foam could hurt the hull
as the extra will just spill out the top and bottom
let it do that and cut it off flush with the hull/deck when dry

that expanding foam is eazy to remove/ break out
as the stuff is not very strong
if you want to do it better a thin cloth with F/g resin layer should seal the hole
and is eazy to remove
just skuff the gelcoat no need to totally remove it for a bond
f/g will bond to clean gelcoat

btw want to sell the unused dagger board??
I need one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm going to agree with gree2056... I would suggest duck taping the bottom of the dagger board well and then duck taping the top. This will have to be redone every once in a while because you will scrape off the tape by pulling it onto the beach.
But really i don't see how much room you could have saved by removing the dagger boards. I don't believe it is worth the performance drawback. Only advantage i can see is you not having to pull them up to get on the beach or go over coral.
Just my 2 cents
Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sail without dagger boards? Just make sure the modification is removable to accommodate the occasional sailor who knows, or wants to learn, how to SAIL!! the boat.

On the other hand, while on a Hobie tour in Thailand like yours, the guide removed the dagger boards for the first leg and the poor guys sailing it complained later about how heavy the tiller was. When my turn came on the boat I made sure the boards were on board, then made the guide chase me down with everything he had on the 21. He caught up and expressed his displeasure while I was taking a break from 25 miles of hair-on-fire fast, hull flying ecstasy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I often sail in shallow water where I need to have my dagger boards raised more then 1/2 way up. But I can't see sailing without any!

How making short dagger boards. (Or have your local surf shop make them). Template the shape from the original dagger boards accept shorter, so that only 6 to 8 inches extend below the hull. This would allow shallow water sailing (over the reefs) and provide some lateral control while filling the dagger board trunks.

The short boards would also be easier to beach since you could lower them earlier when launching and probably do less damage if you forget to raise 'em before you beach.

I do not know if anyone has tried to make short dagger boards but it’s worth a try.

(PS. Please to do not bastardize the original boards. :evil: They are precious to us sailing the 18’s. I’ve repaired might numerous times and will need replacing soon.
Sail ‘em or Sell ‘em. But keep these boats on the water. :D )

Sail#4854

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I agree with John. I suggest you make or have made shorter boards for your boat. You could even look for a pair that have been damaged to the point of not being repairable. Then cut them (even to the point they are flush with the bottom of the hull) and refinish the "new" bottom edge. That way you have your wells filled so you don't get wet and you still have and can use your original boards if you need to some day. And best of all you have not modified your boat at all.

I am sure you could find someone (maybe even here) that has a pair of boards that have been ground to nubs on a reef and are no good for much other then what you need.