Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here are some pics of what happens when you hit a submerged bag of rocks!! Is there any hope?

Last edited by Steve L on Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've glassed on jetskis for years so that looks repairable to me.
I just did some similar damage to my daggerboards. First sand down the gelcoat and clean up the rough spots. I'm going to trowel out the loose filler from previous repairs (not mine) and spackle in some MarineTex with a fitted wood dowel for strength. Then I'll filet in some more Marine Tex on top of that to give me some surface to sand and shape. Then I'll lay at least two layers of overlapping fiberglass cloth, going a few inches past the damaged areas. Sand it mostly smooth and paint. I won't be too worried about aesthetics seeing as there is an up to 80 ft tidal change twice a day where I sail I'm sure to hit them again!

I might have to get some aluminum dagger boards made!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

more then hope. I removed a couple or three inches from the bottom of mine and I had the two of them back to near perfect in about four hours. The last post describes it pretty much. The only thing I would add is that once you have that sort of damage the boards may "open" a bit. What I did after a complete cleaning of all loose bits was pour a little resin in there and clamp it shut so that the board is back to the proper (or slightly smaller) thickness at the end where the damage is. Then build up the shape with whatever filler you want. After that a layer of glass an finish coat and you are back in the water. I was back in the water the day after the "incident"