Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: trap wires on the wings
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

do you put pullys out on the wing to seperate the 2 traps or does the tension from the bungie work well enough. im putting a set of used wings on my 18. so far so good

Post subject: Trap
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:45 am 
Site Admin

Tension on the bungee is all that is needed. A pulley will restrict your movement aft. Nota: sailing the 18 with wings and trapeze is a bit like sailing the Hobie 16. Watch the lee bow and stay aft when powered up!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Any reason not to put the trap inside of the wings? I always found this easier on the 17 - it keeps the shock cord from rubbing a hole in your wing tramps, and you get to reach in front of you to grab the trap handle instead of behind.

http://www.div4.hobieclass.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have them on the inside of the wings on my H18 and that works out just fine for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have tried both ways and I prefer them on the outside of the wings. They want to disconnect prematurely when on the inside

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A couple of possible ideas for H-18 w/wings. I rig the traps inside, and here is how I do it. I have shorten the trap wires by approx 4-6" (raising the handles), this prevents the early unhooking of the trap hook. Next I have rigged a continuous bungie cord system, this takes the installation if small blocks at the bungie tie-off points fore and aft. I have also installed the same blocks at the gunwale pass-through points and run the bungie through them. This gives the system enough stretch to be able to be work from "inside". Just reach in, hook up, hang out !!! And it eliminates the wing covers from being cut. I have SEWN footstraps on my wing covers, one each for each crew/aft foot. If you can keep your wieght "aft", you can actually drive the boat under water almost completely, ease the main ... and she surfaces like a submarine !!!! I love punching out through the surfbreak trapped out on the wings .... WOOF ... WOOF ... WOOF !!!

And last I have installed a brace using a piece of Amsteel 1/8" tied from a shackle installed at the anchor pin (instead of a clevis pin) to the forward inside pipe T-joint of the magnum wing. This is for forward shock loads when you drive the bows hard into a wave when trapped out.

Note: There is a thread on "CatSailor"- Quick Pins, you may want to take a look at it. It is near the end of the thread were they discuss replacing clevis pins w/ shackles and where to use ( if possible) Quick Pins on H-18s. You can read my post there and others that have some good ideas.

Good Luck, Hope My Ideas Help

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11