Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just wanted to know if this down haul system "sucks" or if there something way better out there that i should be using. Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

there is an adjustable 5:1 or 6:1 that works much better and is adjustable while sailing i really recomend it .
your local dealer should be able to give you a price and availability . if you don't currently have a dealer then jeremy at surf city cats is in here alot he can help you.
Rich

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That is the stock downhaul system. It is definitely the least user friendly system available, it is also the cheapest. The roller on the pulley is missing and also, those plastic barrel cleats have a tendency to break eventually.

If you are just planning on fun sailing, I would say, it's probably fine. That's what everyone used on the 18 for the first 15 or so years. However, you might want to look into upgrading the cleat and possibly the pulley too.

If you're going to race, or if you just want to treat yourself to a nicer system, then there are substantial improvements that can be made over the stock system.

Bottom line- the stock system is good enough to sail, but there are definitely better systems out there.

By the way, the graphic on your bow is sweet!

sm

Post subject: Downhaul
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep, that be an OLD stock system ! It is time to spend some money.

First, please read my post on this forum in the thread titled Downhaul and Mainsheet Question. This is the basic system I have on my H-18 for racing ... and my _-19 .... my friends _-20 .... my other friends Tor__do ...etc

Now for some part #s: (2) Harken exit blocks model#140 (verify that these have metal cam cleet jaws, the plastic ones can burnout/melt), (1) Harken Microblock Triple model#228 , (1) Harken Microblock Double modl#226, (1) Deep Twist Shackle 2 1/2"(min) w/ 1/4pin, a piece of 1/8" spectra/amsteel/deneema (all are good) approx 18-24" long.

Now leave what you have in place, it won't hurt anything.

First the easy things:
1) Tie the triple to the mainsail at the grommet. Note you can untie this when you take the sail down and will not have to re-string the downhaul.
2) Remove the clevis pin from the "halyard sheave" in the mast base, leaving the sheave in place. Install deep twist shackle with the shackle's pin replacing clevis pin. Note: If you wish you can install a "boom bail" instead just above the bottom of the mast, but my system started out as a "tempory" experiment that has turned permenant. And I didn't want to put alot of holes in the mast.
3) Install the Harken Exit Blocks, one per side on the mast. Mine are about 2/3 - 3/4s the way up between the boom elevation and the mast base. They are slightly angled to make the line path/feed optimal.
4) I am using 3/16dia NON-stretch line. I tie the ends to the shrouds, or Crews' trap, or to my footstraps on my magnum wings. Depends on my boat configuration and whom I'm sailing with.

Note that my 12yr old niece who races with me can adjust the downhaul using this system.

Enjoy, Hope these ideas help
Harry

ps: wait until I tell you about replacing those JR Jamcleets on the boom with "Spinloks'", my niece just LOVES those little puppies !!!

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

see... thats why I love this forum. you ask a question and dang it, you get an answer. thanks guys. before I by I'll double check with you guys. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's the linky for the 8:1 cascading system, which is class legal BTW. If you go with pivoting exit cams, may as well make it an 8:1 system. Otherwise, the 5:1 requires no drilling.
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2135&highlight=downhaul

Post subject: Downhaul Parts Pricing
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The last time I checked Annapolis Performance Sailing (APS) had the best pricing for those parts, but of course there could always someone else who will be cheaper.

APS is at www.APSLTD.com, the store is physically located in Annapolis Md (actually its Eastport, but everyone still calls that Annapolis)

Harry

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11