Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have three spare Hobie 18 Masts. All of them are Hobie 18 SE masts, sorry, no SX sticks.
All three masts are Black Anodized, Two of them are all Aluminum, and one has a NEW Comp tip. All three masts are in Excellent to very good condition and are complete with Halyard, Spreaders, Diamond wires, Rotation Control and Mast Hinge/base
I Live in Colorado, but will be traveling quite a bit this year, so if you can accommodate my travel schedule, shipping could be almost free.
Most of the time, the biggest problem seems to be how to arrange shipping for a item 28'4" long, and even if you can get it shipped, getting it there undamaged seems to be a long shot.
I will be traveling to Florida for the Mid Winter's East event in March, I regularly travel between Denver and Dallas, and I will be going
to Vancouver for the H-18 NA's in August, and to Clear Lake in September.
If you are anywhere along the way to some of those places I could bring an extra mast with me. Asking $750 each. Pretty firm on the price as these masts are in very good condition and complete just a Comp tip is $450 and Diamond wires are $150 I also have a new Comp Tip I would part with for $300.

Post subject: Re: thanks
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

gofastshawn wrote:
Hey guys and or gals thanx for the info.I sure have alot of ideas during the winter,probably way more than i can afford.The carbon 20 mast sounds awsome but i bet its worth more than my whole boat,ha ha .
As usual I ask and ther are quality answers,time to figure out if I should just keep my all alum mast and try one of the new square top sails.I am a little leary of that just because of the quality issue.Factory sails sure do hold up well.I would like to see in person the new pentexR or aftermarket mylar
for the18 to check out the stitching and general quality.Thanx again
shawn
82 H18 #8211
DIV3

Shawn,

If your mast is all aluminum I wouldn't both changing to another mast. The reason I swapped to the Tiger mast was to get away from the comptip that looked like it was going to explode before too long with the large square top and spinaker yanking on it. If it were my boat I would save the money on the mast and put towards a suite of pentex sails from Ullman sails. Charlie Ogletree had one the silver at the olypics on Tornados and now he going to China to give it another go. He knows cats and Ullman makes a damn strong sail. Alot people are also talking about the Whirlwind sails, sounds like they are a pretty good quality sail. The facotry dacron will always outlive Pentex and other exotic materials just because the material is more forgiving. But the Pentex will maintain that new nonstretched shape much longer than any dacron sail.

Post subject: reply to jack flash
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Those are my thoughts also,sounds like I would be stuck with a comptip if I go SX .I think I will check out Ullman.THanks again great info
shawn
82 H18 #8211
Div 3

Post subject: N20 mast
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

N20 mast = $texas

1998 H16 102698
www.sunjammers.com ftw!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm not sure I am aware of that currency type $texas could you convert that to pounds or perhaps US dollars?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Whats the old saying? "If you have to ask you can't afford it." There was a "repaired" carbon I20 mast on beachcats for 3000 not to long ago. I figured when a repaired mast was tha much a unrepaired one must be half the price of a boat. A new tiger mast is 1600 for what it is worth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

ouch!! I wanna be a big dog without the need to take a second on my house! One of these days I will talk my better half into the fact that it is just as fun to get wet trapped out as it is doin' 110mph on the river.p.s. gotta get rid of my powerboat at some point.
Has anybody heard what the final outcome is with the olymic commitee cancelling the tornado class,what a downer.
WE NEED TO TRY TO REVIVE THIS GREAT CLASS AND BRING MORE PEOPLE
THAT HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT THE FUN AND SKILL THAT THIS SPORT BOTH REQUIRES AND THRIVES ON.
I AM A GREAT EXAMPLE OF SOMEONE WHO GREW UP ON A 16 AND GOT OUT OF THE SPORT BUT YOU KNOW WHAT,I'M BACK AND IT IS GREAT.
LETS TRY TO PROMOTE AS MUCH AS WE CAN.
shawn 82 H18 # 8211
Div3