Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

its a 1980

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Congrads!
As long as the area just in front of the rear crooss bar is solid you should be fine .I have never stood,sat or kneeled on top of the deck behind the rear extrusion.Check that the hull just below the deck seam is solid,in big wind on a reach if your on the wire you may have to stand there,but htis is against the side of the hull and not the top.Sounds like you got a good enough deal that you can spend a little money on her and still be in great shape.Go over your rigging and check for corrosion around swedge joints and replace as needed.The best toy I got was the jib halyard with the sister clip attached,really makes it easier to deal with the two piece halyard,you dont have to tie and untie as you rig and unrig,just unclip its sweet.If your mast bearing is messed up on crossbar I was told to unbolt assy.and drill a h16 teflon disc 3/8 and put this under the 1/2 ball of mast bearing.Mine spins with ease and also put the stepping pin hole back in alignment.Just my two cents worth if there even worth that,Good Luck.There are alot of guys out here that know a ton of info(lots more than I do).
Shawn
82 H18 #8211
Div 3

Post subject: H-18
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congradulations you made the correct choice. Now for some suggestions

Get a set of beach wheels w/ CRADLES!!! The cradles make it alot easier to move the boat around. You can make them cheaply using PVC pipe.

Remember that the Jib Halyard must be fed down through the jib luff/zipper. Tie your removable section of the Jib Halyard around the sm pulley so that it feeds into the jib luff.

A H-18 is as easy or easier to right them a H-16 ... you stand on the daggerboard !!! It flat and easy to stand on ... I keep slipping on the Asymetrical H-16 hull and falling off. One time I even punctured the hull w/ my trap hook!!!

To raise the mast I have someone help me standing on the tramp we grab the diamond wires on either side and just throw the mast up ... easy!!

Remove ALL ROLLERS from the trailer as they will put dents on the bottom over time. Replace them w/ carpeted bunks made from 2x6's 14" long. Bolt them to the crossbar w/ carriage bolts and then carpet the bunks w/ NYLON carpet that will not retain water. Prevents gellcoat blistering.

Go look at my posts that I made in Jan on this forum as I discussed alot of H18 subjects. some of it may be of interest to you.

And don't let my date of registering for this forum fool you as I just got a computer ... but I have raced a H-18 since 1985 ... FYI: Mr MUST 429 is currently the second place ranked H-18 sailor in NA for several years now ... He is a MASTER and his advice is always valuble and correct. I listen and follow his advice anytime Stephen is willing to give it. The other two Masters are Ken Marshek and Jim Sohn who trade the 1st place ranking back and forth.

Again welcome to the H18 Class

Feel free to contact me w/ any question you have about a H-18 my E-mail address is listed in my profile.

Sail Flat, Sail Fast
Harry

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11