Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 18SX Jib problems
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Got out for my first ride on a 18SX today and had a blast. only problem was that both the leach and foot of the jib was flapping/vibrating when we got anything over 15knots of wind. I never had this problem on my 16. there is only one attachment point at the clew, so the travelers are the only adjustable thing right?
so is it just an old sail or is there some way of fixing this?

Thanks
Seamus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's pretty much correct, the fore-aft traveller is the only adjustment. Move it forward to make the sail fuller and put more load on the leach, move it aft to make the sail flatter/more twisted and to put more load on the foot.

This sounds like the sail is blown out, so probably not much you can do adjustment-wise, just sail it and live with it. I've never sailed an SX, so I'm not too familar with those jibs. I'm pretty sure they did not have any leach battens, but if there are, check to make sure they're not broken. Or, if there is a leach line, pull some tension on it.

One thought that does come to mind, depending on the overall condition of the jib and whether you're willing to put any money into it, you may be able to have a sail maker add some short leach battens (assuming there aren't any already). He could probably also put some short vertical battens in the foot. I don't know what this would cost, but it would probably be cheaper than getting a new sail or getting the old sail re-cut.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If the sail looks faded, it may also have sun damage, so having a sail maker tighten it would not be a good investment. These sails really should have a snorkel on them when the boats sit with the masts up.

Why not start calling dealers? Sometimes you can find one in the bottem of a sail loft for about $400. A friend of mine just bought a new set of sails that was made for him from someone in California for $1,200. I know that sounds pricey, but if you take care of them, you'll have them for a long time.

I'm not crazy about putting battens in them because of the roller furler.

Wyatt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
I'm not crazy about putting battens in them because of the roller furler.

I agree, battens are not an ideal solution. But they could probably be installed farily cheaply and should help reduce flutter if he is just trying to salvage an old jib. And the Hobie 20 used leach battens with a furler.

sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'll ask the local loft what they think. the boat doesn't have a snorkel so probably had some sun damage at some point but it is trailer sailed right now. there isn't that horrible ban of sun bleached sail like you see on some roller furling rigs that aren't protected.
I've seen adjustments done to keelboat sails to tighten the luff curve of a blown out sail by cutting a slice out of the slice and sewing it back together. this was in dacron on a cruiser os it porbably isn't an ideal solution for this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What position where the blocks in, front or rear? Sounds like maybe they were in the forward position and even though the sheets were hard on, the sail was too full. Also check sheet angle, should be pulling thru the middle of the sail.
My 2 cents, Later