Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm back for my first full season with my Hobie 18, tons of questions as always. For those that don't remember (everyone) I bought a Hobie 18 from Colorado last year (and burned out a transmission getting it home to Oklahoma), have a outdoors loving wife and 8 year old boy. After a Hobie Sailing day from our local fleet we were on board!

Stored the boat in a farm field that was free of animals for the winter. Tarped it well and checked it often. Other than the loss of a tarp and a few bungees, it was dry and undamaged. I retrieved it and worked out a storage for mowing deal with a neighbor. I also spent the "off-season" buying a new Pathfinder 4x4 to make sure I can tow with massive over kill (I also have a fishing boat, so needed the large engine - right?!).

So, I freed this weekend to get my boat up to speed and head to the lake (I'm a cold water wuss, sorry). Which leaves me with some work to do and several questions.

I have to rerun the jib line after noticing wear last season and check all the rigging in general, but my main concerns are:

1) I'm a newbie and it's early summer in Oklahoma. We have been having 15-25 mph winds most days for weeks. Today we have 40 MPH gusts. For me (who does not own trapeze harnesses that fit yet) I fear even the steady wind is just an invitation for frequent baths.

So what wind speeds(ish) should I consider as a novice? I know there are people out there going 20 MPH consistent and your worried! Well, I think I am. Should I be?

2) The last two times (only two times) I have ended up turtling the boat. This is in part due to children on the boat failing to get off the hull rapidly and partly because of said children jumping on to the rigging/sail when they do (at least, I think). OR, I have a mast leak?

What's the best way to prevent this? A Hobie Bob? Some other float on the top of the mast? Is my mast leaking?

3) If so, I take it I need to seal it. But looking at it, I'm not entirely sure where I'd seal it at (Hobie 18 with comp tip). I've looked, but remain unsure - between the comp tip and the mast? Somewhere under the rigging guide? I searched briefly for an article and came up with nothing... I really don't like the turtled/screwed for an hour feeling. :wink:
- - -

Sorry I'm long winded. Everything is better in context. I searched briefly for these answers and will continue my search, but figured I had better get them posted before the weekend!

Thanks,

Jesse

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm relatively new to the 18 myself but living in FL I've been out a quite a few times already this year so here are my thoughts:

20 mph winds are doable if they are steady but 15-25 and I'd stay on the beach. The gusts are what will catch you. Be real conscious of where your weight is on the boat and cleat the sheets cautiously. I'd double check all my standing rigging also.

The bob works great so you won't go full turtle. Even if your mast leaks a little (they probably all do) I would get a bob and be done with it. I'd also get a righting system though because even with the bob the 18 can be a hand full to right. Also read the post about power righting somewhere on one of the forums.

Have fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

first congrats on the 18 its a great platform. Above 20 the 18 is a lot to handle for a novice. If someone in your area thats experienced can go out with you when its blowing thats a lesson worth paying the beer for.
Second my advice on any new to you boat is replace the rigging if you don't know how old it is. Shrouds chain plates and anchors are cheep compared to the damage caused when they fail. One anchor pin on my 18 caused $500 in damage, when it failed in san fran bay.
As for the mast leaking every connection and rivit in the mast is a possible leak. a hobie bob is recomended for a newbie in good wind. But remember with a bob the tramp is in the wind so maintain contact with the boat after flipping. if you do turtle before you get the bob. stand on the back corner leaning on your righting line. put the bows in the air and slowly walk up the hull tward the dagger. This should help put you into standard flip. make sure all sheets are loose and furl the jib if possible.
Good luck and have fun with the 18.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I acquired a Baby-Bob for security when the wind was a little more than I felt comfortable with. There are some great photos on TheBeachCats.com for a simple bracket that can be fabricated to mount the Bob to the top of an 18 mast (all aluminum). http://www.thebeachcats.com/index.php?module=pictures&g2_itemId=34617 I used this design and mounted these brackets. I can put the Bob on of off in only a few minutes. Since then I’ve learned and practiced the technique to recover a flipped HC-18 and no longer use the Bob, but the Bracket is still in place.

Sail#4854

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Be careful about standing too far back on the lower hull as this can cause the boat to cartwheel! Not only does this give you another refreshing dip but anything stowed in the hulls can end up behind the dagger wells. The hulls are much wider at the top than the bottom and the dagger wells obstruct things moving forward when the boat is upright. I had to get some neighbors to help me flip the boat over and shake it to get the dry box with my cell phone back!!! ;)

Also the hobie bob is the most expensive of the bobs but it weather-vanes thereby indicating which direction the effective wind is coming from which can be very helpfull!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

20kts is good air for trapping. You need a good trapeze harness and righting system. I am not a fan of the bob and turtleing due to water in the mast occurs only when water is in the mast before the boat flips. They don't fill up on contact. Check your mast at the boat dock by submerging it and watching for bubbles. Common leak spots are comptip connection and rotator bolt hole. Hope this helps. Glad you got an 18!