Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Diamond Wire ajdustment
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm very close to getting my boat ready and this weekend I was working on the mast, replacing sheeves, etc. I've noticed that the diamond wires are tight as banjo strings and assumed they were suppose to be. I also noticed a slight bend in the mast when looking down the sail track. I guess this is because one diamond wire is tighter then the other.
The manaul is very vague on what what the adjustment should be.
Can someone tell me what/how I should adjust them to.
The crew wieght shood be around 400lbs. I'm not racing just cruising and just looking for a good all around adjustment setting.
Thanks for any advice.
~John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Traditionally, the H18 diamond wires would be tight for light wind/heavy crew, loose for high wind/light crew. Personally, I've never found the adjustment to make a whole heck of a lot of difference, but here's the general settings...

The H18 Performance Manual (which most use as a guide) recommends putting marks three feet up from the diamond wire bolt at one foot intervals. Press the wires towards the mast (or wrap with bungee cord) and note where they contact the mast. The highest (3 foot mark) is the loosest setting, the 1 foot mark is the tightest. At 400lb, you would be in the medium/heavy range.

sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok, I think i get it. The diamond wires are suppose to a halt the bend in the mast when it gets to a certian point dicated by the looseness of the wire. Is that about right?
I was thinking (in my ignorance) that the wires were exerting force on the mast even at rest to bend the mast fore or aft. Didn't really know which.
The prior makes sense to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You got it, the 18 wires are attached to the sides, promoting minor axis bending.

Most "modern" diamond wire setups attach to the front of the mast causing major axis prebend (fore/aft).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

.....which I've seen on some of the local mono hull sail boats around the area. I think this is why i was thinking the h18 was suppose to have a "pre-bend".
Well thats cool. I feel much better about the whole thing.
I'm getting close to my first run on this boat and getting anxious :lol:
Thanks for the info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
I think this is why i was thinking the h18 was suppose to have a "pre-bend".

The geometry of the spreaders/diamond wires really doesn't lend itself to prebending the H18 mast. The spreaders don't rake back very far and the diamond wires connect too far back on the mast.

For just going cruising, I wouldn't get too fixated on these settings. Run the diamonds fairly tight in lighter wind and slack them off for higher wind, otherwise, just go sail.

sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

sounds good. One last question then....where should the diamond rollers be located? I have 2 snap-on's coming and not exactly sure where they best location is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The rollers connect to the diamond wire above the spreaders. They rest on the top side of the spreader. The purpose is to prevent the jib from getting hung up on the spreaders. It's also a good idea to cover the spreader ends and cotter pins with rigging tape or electrical tape to prevent damage to the jib.

sm