Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Over the past season I've noticed that the boat has been really quick downwind, which is nice and leaves me feeling like my skills are really getting better.

The problem is that I feel crazy slow upwind (compared to last season). At first I thought that I might be trying to point too high, but bearing off doesn't seem to make a difference. No matter what I do it feels like I'm dragging a mark upwind. :?:

Any suggestions on where to start? The mast is raked pretty far back, but not nearly as extreme as some of the boats that I've compared it to. The only change has been the addition of a baby bob that my girlfriend bought me for Christmas......

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I noticed the same thing when we were racing at Caseville. You guys killed us going downwind but we had you by a little on the upwind legs.

You're raked pretty far back I think.

Maybe you need more downhaul upwind. We release the downhaul when we are going downwind and bring it back tight going upwind.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Bob = more drag and more weight aloft. Neither of those things are going to help your upwind performance. I'm not saying that the Bob is definitely what's causing your issues, but I would think the first thing you should do would be to pop it off and go for a sail to see if things go back to normal.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Caseville was a perfect example. :roll: And the bob is the only thing that's changed recently.

I'm prepping the spare mast for alum creek, so we'll see if ditching the bob and a couple gallons of water makes a difference.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Any idea why you guys were so much faster than us going downwind? We're not going to be able to make it to Old Fox now so you can tell me :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Major bummer. We were looking forward to racing you again. My boat still has the prehistoric downhaul, so I usually crank it down in the morning and leave it set until the main comes down at the end of the day. Other than that, our boats are setup very similarly.

I think a lot of our downwind speed came from getting our weight further forward on the boat. As long as it's not blowing hard enough to stuff a bow, I make Kelsey sit on the leeward side corner casting.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You definitely sailed smarter than me that one race where we thought we were doing 1 lap but turned out we were doing 2. I still have nightmares of of that insane comeback on the final downwind leg. I definitely should have covered and stayed between you guys and the finish line.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What age are your sails? An old jib can affect pointing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I picked up a 16 again so I may be able to go "slumming" it with you guys racing next summer.

For upwind - you have lots of down haul and outhaul? traveler in the center? Jib tight? I just made the mistake of not having my outhaul tight at Higgens.

Also mast rotation look proper when you're having this issue?

Zach you going to gross point this weekend? Gonna be COLD AND WINDY - but last of the season and the tiger needs me to rub it's tummy again. = )

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

This is gonna sound crazy, but upwind, especially solo, I sheet the jib leeward, travelled in towards the mast BUT i use my windward jib sheet to pull the jib up and in tighter to the mast making the tale tales on the jib go straight back up wind close hauled and get more power, flying a hull quicker! I point very high on my 16... almost matching my pointing on my H20!
Tim

Memphis, TN fleet 134
Hobie 20! G-Cat5.0 and 2 Hobie 14's
Photobucket now wants $100 to post pics on forums......... pass.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had the same problem in the spring check that the rudders are adjusted paralle to the hulls. Even slightly off will slow you down drastically

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sodusbayhobie, I am just west of the bay on the lake.

Cheers
Bill