Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My new 1981, hobie 16 has a little warp to the mast is this normal and can I do anything to straighten it. Also, I setup the boat by myself and I'm wondering if I loose control of the mast when setting up, does it get destroyed when it hits the ground or are they built really tuff. Thanks. James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

A warp in the mast (a sideways bend when looking straight up the mast) isn't normal-depending how severe, it could be sailed with without any real problems, but if it is severe enough, you will have a hard time raising the main sail and could cause severe structural weakening of the mast. In this case, find yourself a used, straight mast. Their is also something called mast bend, which is the curvature of the mast when looking at it from the side. This can be adjusted by tightening/loosening the shrouds. Also, DO NOT attempt to raise the mast by oneself-it requires two people at the minimum or a mast rigging device. Also, the boat should be sailed by two people and if you are a begginer, I reconmend going out with an experienced cat sailor or at least and experienced sailor for your first couple times anyway

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hmm… in order to provide advice we would need to know what warped means...
I recomend using a string/line (kite string will do...) to compare straightness of the mast. Try to identify which way it curves.... Measure how far the mast is out of the centerline. Support the mast well while you are measuring, since the mast is quiet flexible and might slightly bend from it's own weight. If the mast is slightly bend you might be able to straighten the mast by re-bending. There are some old posts of someone who reported that he had to apply a large amount of weight before before he noticed a change. Keep us posted!!!
Mast stepping... You can step alone. I step the mast more than 50% of the time on my own. The only device I use is the step link at the mast base a 20-foot line to temporarily position the forestay.
Loosing controle of the mast while steping is a bad thing - more for the objects (cars, side or rear bar) and individuals you might hit, than for the mast itself. I try to stay away from cars and people while I step. If you can position the trailer/boot facing down wind and or down hill, it might make the mast stepping process easier.
Read some of the old postings on solo mast stepping - It can be done!!!

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sounds like Patrick and I use pretty much the same method to step the mast- I do mine solo pretty often- no gin pole rig ,etc. 16's are pretty manageable solo, too. I solo mine all the time, but I also have a 14t which I use in high winds if I wanna solo. ( I can right the 14 every time!)- Dave