Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hiking Straps or not
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When I got my '86 H16 two years ago, the hiking straps were toast. I carefully removed all of the thread and cleaned the tramp which now looks almost new except for the tiny thread holes where the straps were stitched on. It sure makes scooting around on the tramp easier and more comfortable on my knees so I haven't put new ones on. It limits my ability to sit on the rail and lean out a little, but I have become accustomed to not having them there.

How many of you use the hiking straps and how many have removed or never replaced them?

Other comments . . .

'86 H16, Sail #89057

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I don't think I could sail my H16 with out the straps. It would really limit how much hiking out you could do and it would make roll tacking a bit difficult. I actually had a crew fall overboard because he didn't have a foot under the strap. I constantly have a foot under there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I used straps on both my 16 & 18. Sometimes the wind is just at that speed where you can't hike out, but don't want to stay perfectly flat on the water either. There were too many times my straps stopped me from sliding off the boat to not have them. If you do decide to replace them, toss around the idea of putting a twist in the strap before you stitch it down....makes it a lot easier to get a toe under it quickly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rick Buchanan wrote:
I used straps on both my 16 & 18. Sometimes the wind is just at that speed where you can't hike out, but don't want to stay perfectly flat on the water either. There were too many times my straps stopped me from sliding off the boat to not have them. If you do decide to replace them, toss around the idea of putting a twist in the strap before you stitch it down....makes it a lot easier to get a toe under it quickly.

Not sure it is class legal (though that probably won't matter to me) but has anyone installed 3 or 4 grommets on each half of the tramp to attach the hiking straps instead of sewing them on?

That would allow them to be easily removable / replaceable. It seems the straps don't last long due to sun, body oils, etc.

'86 H16, Sail #89057

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A grommet kit works well. Put two in each spot that the strap was sewn. (MUCH easier with tramp off boat). Purchase the smallest diameter water pipe insulation you can find. Use some old jib sheet, adjust length to your liking, tie a stopper knot on the bottom side. The only replacement part is the insulation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can't say that I've ever used them. I've always found hiking out on the 16 to be really uncomfortable. But, your average auto upholstry shop would probably do it pretty cheap. I had some done a while back for 20 bucks. I used seatbelts that I got for free from a junk yard as the straps. But, I can certainly see how grommets would be beneficial for future replacement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How about about a couple of foam covered toe loops tied to the center lacing and that can flop to either side?

'86 H16, Sail #89057

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I couldn't do without the hiking straps! Right after buying my 86 H-16 new I removed the stock straps. Then I put grommets in tramp and installed 3/8" line through the grommets and put piping neoprene insulation on the lines. It makes it very easy to get foot under straps in a hurry and never hurts the feet. Every few years I replace the neoprene should it get a bit weathered or torn. Besides being totally functional it looks good as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have never used mine. I have always thought that if I bite it I would not want to be under the straps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Burley Burlando wrote:
I have never used mine. I have always thought that if I bite it I would not want to be under the straps.

I'm of the same thought. Mine are tightly laced onto the tramp, and I'm not sure how quickly i could get out if i were to dump.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

tomhuntington wrote:
Burley Burlando wrote:

I'm of the same thought. Mine are tightly laced onto the tramp, and I'm not sure how quickly i could get out if i were to dump.

I guess if you don't put your leg up to your knee there, you'll be fine.

I use them very often, but I only put my toes under the straps and I have never had a problem taking my foot out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I wouldn't consider sailing my 16 without straps.

I am on the trapeze as soon as I can get out, but in rought water/ big winds, there are just too many times I neeed a little extra leverage to keep from sliding around. Put your feet into them no further than where your toes join your feet, and you'll be fine.

Sail # 21888

Post subject: Re: Hiking Straps or not
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I also just removed my hiking straps because they were so worn. I don't have grommet holes and I was wondering if I could just run a line from the rear to the front crossbar on either side? I just got my boat and haven't gotten it out yet because I needed a few parts so I don't really know much about what works, and I haven't heard of anyone else doing this, they all seem to be tied/stitched down along the tramp. Is there a reason for this?

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't use them. But, I have replaced them before on an older tramp when I was first starting out. I went to a junk yard and asked a guy if I could cut the seat belts out of some old junk cars. He let me do that for free. I then took them to an upholstery shop and instructed them as to how to sew them on and how much slack I wanted between the stitching points. I think it only cost me 20-30 bucks and they lasted until the tramp finally ripped.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Didn't use mine much because I was always trapped out but it was always nice to know that if I needed them, they were there !!! :roll:

David