Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Actually, the hardest part about using a spinnaker is fighting the urge to do what your instincts have always taught you to do....head up when you start to get overpowered. Do that with a spinnaker and your boat is going over.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I installed one. first time out 4mph winds and less - I was amazed to see it fill...

2nd time up was gale warnings (we didn't know) and the lanyard got caught on my gopro on the spin pole and didn't deploy. Then got caught on batten and I trashed the spin sail. 250 bucks in repair and I tried it again yesterday. About 6mph WAS AWESOME.

But now I'm looking for more info - main goes were? and jib goes where?

Also the spin isn't out front it's to front and one side. Later we tried the main way out to opposite side and that was really cool because the spin went almost centered and filled up nicely. (though now I read now a good idea as we need back tension on the mast. (luckily was only about 6mph) That was neat though- main off to starboard and spin off on port side.

Now I read - keep main more in line with center of boat... sheeted tight for back tension. (check) will do.

Where is Jib? Seems with main centered and Jib normally set for wind direction that the spin is fairly blocked ?

I wish it were symmetrical... Just out front and not one side or the other.

I'm now having problems when I try to drop it and snuff it - my spin halyard keeps cleating by itself. Someone mentioned a fix a few posts back, but I don't quite get what he's saying?

Looking for any tips in using spin on H16. Can we actually gybe down wind and sheet the spin from port to starboard and back? I've not tried this. WE just went in a straight diagonal line down the lake. Also sounds like the spin needs to be on the port side before snuffing? (as bag is on port side of spin pole). What is MAX WIND it should be deployed in? and min wind? (which seemed to be about 3-4 mph as it worked for us that low. But what is TO MUCH wind for the kite?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In red !!!

I installed one. first time out 4mph winds and less - I was amazed to see it fill...

2nd time up was gale warnings (we didn't know) and the lanyard got caught on my gopro on the spin pole and didn't deploy. Then got caught on batten and I trashed the spin sail. 250 bucks in repair and I tried it again yesterday. About 6mph WAS AWESOME.

But now I'm looking for more info - main goes were? and jib goes where?

Also the spin isn't out front it's to front and one side. Later we tried the main way out to opposite side and that was really cool because the spin went almost centered and filled up nicely. (though now I read now a good idea as we need back tension on the mast. (luckily was only about 6mph) That was neat though- main off to starboard and spin off on port side.

Now I read - keep main more in line with center of boat... sheeted tight for back tension. (check) will do.

Where is Jib? Seems with main centered and Jib normally set for wind direction that the spin is fairly blocked ?

Main is to be centered and sheeted tightly as there are not many mast that will support a spi under gale force winds. The jib should be centered as well on the same side as the spi. You will have to move it manually as it is not self tacking.

I wish it were symmetrical... Just out front and not one side or the other.

I'm now having problems when I try to drop it and snuff it - my spin halyard keeps cleating by itself. Someone mentioned a fix a few posts back, but I don't quite get what he's saying?

Make sure that you're headed downwind when deploying and retrieving the spi as to minimize the likelihood of snaggs.

Looking for any tips in using spin on H16. Can we actually gybe down wind and sheet the spin from port to starboard and back? I've not tried this. WE just went in a straight diagonal line down the lake. Also sounds like the spin needs to be on the port side before snuffing? (as bag is on port side of spin pole). What is MAX WIND it should be deployed in? and min wind? (which seemed to be about 3-4 mph as it worked for us that low. But what is TO MUCH wind for the kite?

Yes, you can gybe downwind using the spi. Just adjust the spi (and the jib) sheet from one side to the other . Should be able to retrieve spi from either side as long as you're sailing downwind.

David

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just picked up a Gleason spinnaker sail.
The foot measures 12'5"
green side 20'
red side 21' 3"

Would this work on a Hobie 16?

The head has a swivel attached to it.

Other than a small mouse hole, the sail looks new. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The key about keeping the spi halyard from re-cleating itself when you're snuffing is when you uncleat the line - don't leave the line on top of the cleat - if you have a fair-lead on top of the cleat, remove that, and then the line will run along the side of the cleat and not recleat itself...it's a technique more than anything - some people will rig a stainless ring on a short piece of shock cord lifting up slightly on the halyard - but I like putting the line on the side of the cleat. I will take a photo for you and post it.