Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hello Folks, this is my second post on this great forum.

I recently purchased a secondhand Hobie 16 picked it up last week it included a trailer two tramps, two hiking harnesses, beach wheels plus a number of bits and bobs. It cost slightly over £1000.
Now I confess I really didn't now what to look for in way of issues but this forum certainly gave me some pointers to follow such as looking out for soft spots, hull repairs, rudder assembly and mast straightness etc.
Only just now found the time to roll out the sails since purchasing to find I am missing two battens for the jib. (I am sure they where there as it was on my list to check)
Trailered the Hobie home (300 miles) only to notice that the 4/4 smallest jib batten was hanging out of the sail bag so was living in hope that the other battens where in the jib sail sadly they are not to be found. :-(
To be honest the bag was not fit for purpose, it was designed for windsurfing so the boom poked out the end. Tied the bag up and placed on tram of cat as it would not fit in car. I suspect the original owner removed the battens from the jib and left them loose when packing. So need to find out where to buy 2/4 and 3/4 battens for the jib.
Any ideas?

On further inspection of the main sail I have noticed that foot of the sail where the cord slides into the slot of the boom, on each end near clew and tack is kind of jammed in the boom or pinched i.e. the cord at each end is half in and half out of the boom slot. I am guessing this is not by design.
Would you suggest I should I try and free this up?

Kind Regards,
Steve

Hobie 16 1996 (my latest)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Update:

I have managed to sought out the jammed main sail in the boom issue so at least that's something.

The battens that I do have for the jib appear to be a different design then that of the main additional the end caps do not appear to be original either.
Here are a some pictures of the shortest jib batten 4/4.

The boat:

Kind Regards,
Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:43 pm 
Site Admin

The battens would be best purchased through a Hobie dealer. You are in the EU?

www.hobie-cat.net

Dealer Finder: http://www.hobie-cat.net/hobie-cat/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=427&Itemid=587&lang=en

The jib battens are of a smaller stock than the main and are much more flexible. There are after market battens that would work as well, but seeing a cat dealer should really help.

Hobie 16 parts guides: http://www.hobie-cat.net/hobie-cat/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=407%3Ahobie-16-uk&catid=79%3Acatamarans&Itemid=575&lang=en

Choose the "DOWNLOAD" option and then manuals, parts guides, brochures are available.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the links and the clarification Matt and yes you are correct I am based in the EU, though for how much longer the UK will remain so is anyone's guess, who knows we may soon become the 51st state ;-) Much appreciated.